Author Topic: Power Inverter/Converter  (Read 4130 times)

David Parham

Power Inverter/Converter
« on: January 25, 2011, 02:57:21 AM »
My inverter/converter is creating a "thumping" noise. It took me forever to figure out where the noise was coming from but after crawling into the bay where the inverter is I  could actually feel the thump against the housing of the unit. Has anyone else had this problem? What could the cause be?

My coach is a 2000 Patriot and the converter is a Freedom 458 series, model 20. The "thumping" seems to be random but it is increasing in frequency. As I write this message there are no appliances on and I am plugged into 50 amp shore power and the noise is probably every five to ten minutes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:37:43 PM by 4165 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Power Inverter/Converter
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 05:19:22 AM »
There have been at least four different inverters installed in Beaver coaches over the years. So if you want an answer that is pertinent to your coach you need to include the year and model of your Beaver in your question.

Gerald

Randy Perry

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:15:36 AM »
My 2000 Patriot Ticonderoga has a thumping sound from my inverter while plugged into shore power at home?????

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 03:08:12 PM »
If it is just one thump it may be a set of heavy duty relays that close when power is transferred from coach to shore power or visa versa. Someone with the same coach and inverter should be able to tell you if it is a normal occurrence. These relays should "thump" once and close and not chatter. The main transfer relays usually reside in a Grey box mounted near the inverter but it would depend on the coach. The year and model as Gerald indicated would be a big help as well as the brand and model of the inverter. Also conditions when you hear the thump, like when just plugging or unplugging the power cord, or just random times for example.
Later Ed