Author Topic: Air leak at ride height control valve  (Read 5258 times)

Al Lewis

Air leak at ride height control valve
« on: April 13, 2018, 05:07:34 PM »
My 02 Monterey has developed a constant air leak at the left rear ride height control valve. Everything seams to work normally except air pressure will drop enough for the warning horn to go off after a one half hour stop. Air is coming out the bottom port intended to vent air if the ride is to high. Anybody have experience with this?is the valve bad?  Or could something else cause it?  Manufacture?  Part number?

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Re: Air leak at ride height control valve
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:41:09 PM »
Call Beaver Coach Sales, they will have the part. I priced one the other day... they want $265 or thereabouts.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Pat Long

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 10:01:50 PM »
Take a look at this link and I know it will have your valve and will be cheaper.  Bookmark it for further reference

http://heightcontrolvalve.com/haldex-19.htm
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 12:04:12 AM »
Al, PN should be on valve. It is best to replace both rear ride height valves at same time. This is a serious safety process to replace valves. If coach drops down, there is very little room under coach. Search forum for, ride height valve replacement, to research the process. If not comfortable with process, best left to the pro's. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 12:42:55 AM »
Al, PN should be on valve. It is best to replace both rear ride height valves at same time. This is a serious safety process to replace valves. If coach drops down, there is very little room under coach. Search forum for, ride height valve replacement, to research the process. If not comfortable with process, best left to the pro's. Hope this helps.

Agree with Frank. Recommend you drive your coach over a pit so you could stand under it for easy access. I am able to do this myself with a local shop that let’s be rent their pit for $35 an hour. Maybe you can find one in your area.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 03:32:03 PM »

Agree with Frank. Recommend you drive your coach over a pit so you could stand under it for easy access. I am able to do this myself with a local shop that let’s be rent their pit for $35 an hour. Maybe you can find one in your area.
I wish there were more places with a pit for doing under motorhome repairs and visuals.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Al Lewis

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 07:38:33 PM »
Project complete and successful I hope. Thanks to all of you for the help. I selected a part from. Dayton air control products. The old part number apparently is obsolete or maybe beaver sales bought up the supply. A tech at Dayton said K864006 would do the job..  The part was labeled Haldex 612 036 011. It appeared to be identical and installed with no problem. It appears to work but I have not road tested it.

I was intimidated by the air line connectors. Used a line wrench to press the release and pulled the line out. Reinstalled later and I don't think it leaks. I put the on board jacks down and backed up with three jackstands. Did not have a pit. Just good hard concrete.

I just replaced the one valve. If I had to take it to a shop it may have been wise to replace two or maybe four.

Oh the cost of the kit was$125 plus shipping. 
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 10:35:16 PM »
Let us know, Al, how well this resolves the problem and that the valve was indeed the culprit.

By the way, was the necessary tubing wrench SAE or metric?  Mine I think are all SAE.  Hate to think I go to the effort of jacking, blocking, and getting under there only to discover I have to crawl out (gravel, not dollyable concrete), clean up, and head to Ace or Sears for another darned set of wrenches.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:44:07 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Pat Long

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 04:10:15 AM »
Joel,    He is talking about Push TO Connect air line fittings.  You use a open end wrench to fit around the air line but to so big that it will not depress the brass push connect fitting sleeve.  By depressing that back into itself it will release the air line so you can pull it out for service.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 05:50:12 AM »
Thanks Pat.  I reckon that’s one aside from quick connects I haven’t run into yet.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat