Author Topic: Camera question  (Read 3732 times)

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Camera question
« on: April 18, 2018, 12:36:53 AM »
Does anyone know where the trigger is for the rear camera on a 2004 Patriot Thunder? Right now it only comes on when it is in reverse. I want it on all the time like it was on our 2002 Thunder.
This will most likely be the first of many questions for this coach.
Thanks ,Marty

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Camera question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 01:54:24 PM »
Hey Congrats on the 04, if you select the camera on the Aladdin will is stay?
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 03:25:33 AM »
Thanks Jerry, there is no option to choose just "camera". 4 choices, Backup camera, Aux 1-VCR, Aux2 Satellite and Aux 3 DVD. If you choose anything but the backup camera you get a notice: Is disabled when ignition is on. This is really senseless, I wish to monitor my toad when towing and this thing won't give me that option.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 12:43:51 PM »
Marty,
Do you not see this screen on your monitor using the Aladdin joystick?

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »
Marty, do what I did and add another monitor screen.  I mounted another screen directly above the Aladdin screen and now I have both rear monitor and all engine data all the time.  I took the camera feed off of the Aladdin and moved it to the new 7" screen. 

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5119.0;attach=4126;image
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:22:28 PM by Roy 'Chuck' Tyler »

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 04:21:55 PM »
Marty,
I'm not sure why you can't select 'backup camera' from the Aladdin menu, I could select backup camera and leave it on but then I couldn't monitor the engine functions or any of the other menu items without backing out of the camera.

The way I got this resolved was using the VMSpc software on a windows tablet to monitor the engine and a myriad of other functions the software allows you to set up. Now I can have the backup camera on all the time and still monitor the engine with the tablet. I don't understand why you would be getting the message you are, there must be a way to have the camera stay on.

Congrats on the new Coach!!

Dean
Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
1993 Bounder (1st coach!)
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
Past Region 1 Vice President

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 01:44:59 AM »
Marty
Go to the top line on the Aladdin menu and select it then arrow right twice.  I can do this and it will stay where I put it but the blinkers still change it when I activate them.
Congrats on the new coach.  04 Thunder?  Nice!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 04:00:51 AM »
Several of those that have responded are correct, I can select backup camera from the menu and it will stay on. The down side is: you then have to take your eyes off the road at say 60 plus miles an hour to go back to the menu to do several steps with the Aladdin so I can check the engine monitor gauges. It would be far better (and safer)  to be able to touch the V Select button on the remote or face of the receiver to toggle between the two screens. I think down the road I will go with the Silverleaf PC model. Thank you all for your input and replies.
Marty

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 03:54:24 PM »
The down side is: you then have to take your eyes off the road at say 60 plus miles an hour to go back to the menu to do several steps with the Aladdin so I can check the engine monitor gauges.
Marty

After 6 years, I do it without taking my eyes off the road. I have the menu, and sub menu positions memorized. For example, pulling out of a rest stop, accelerating to highway speed, I need to watch the road in the mirror, and also set the cruise when I get to the proper speed. I've learned to do all of that (switch back and forth from the engine diagnostics and the back up camera) without looking at the screen.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 10:22:16 PM »
I’ve come to work it that way also, Stan.  It’s worth the effort to memorize the screen and make it’s use second nature.  I can’t quite say I don’t look at the screen though, because there’s no point to having it if that were true.  But without looking my joystick has already presented the parameter I need well before I’m in a relatively safe position to glance at the screen. 

Though it can be many months if not years between trips, like riding a bike for me it isn’t long on the road again before the Aladdin use is automatic.  Otherwise it would be too much like texting and distracted driving.  You can commit the screens and joystick maneuvers to memory by practicing while parked so your learning period isn’t a hazard.  Fortunately there’s only a couple of screens that are of much concern on the road anyway, and my three camera screens are in sequence or otherwise automatic with turn signals, so they’re easy to use.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:29:39 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat