Author Topic: Finished updating my Entry steps  (Read 5068 times)

Mike Shumack

Finished updating my Entry steps
« on: April 21, 2018, 06:27:42 PM »
I replaced the carpet treads and rubber backing on my entry steps with some SS mirror panels on the step risers, and tile on the steps. I got the ideas from other coach owners posting pictures of their upgrades (and then just copied what I liked). I also added LED light stips at base of each riser that come on when the door is opened.

I'm still working on a few cleanup/detail items, but this is pretty much done now. Now on to other work.

Before and After shots:

The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Carol Moffett

Re: Finished updating my Entry steps
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 11:23:19 AM »
Oh, my gosh, Mike!  That is beautiful!  What a great job you did!
I especially like the lights!  How did you hook them up to come on with the door opening?
Again, wonderful!
Carol
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 11:46:57 AM »
I tied the LED strip lights to the light that is already installed under the coach for the drop down step.
When the door is opened and the drop down step comes out, the LED lights come on. When the step is retracted (or the Entry Step switch if off) the lights are off. That seemed to be the easiest way to hook up.
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Carr, Carol Moffett

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 02:04:43 PM »
Nice Job Mike looks great
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Staley

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 05:36:50 PM »
Looks Great!  That is what we have been considering doing to ours.  Where did you get the SS Mirror panels?

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 06:03:36 PM »
Very nice!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 06:06:09 PM »
Discount Steel (under stainless steel panels). I had them precut to my dimensions.
https://www.discountsteel.com/items/Stainlesss_Steel.cfm
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Bill Staley

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 08:38:01 PM »
Another question.  Where did you get the strip LED lights?  Or did you cut a long strip to the lengths required?  Am going to be doing the same type thing to ours.  Also, on the steel, did you get the smoothed edges?

Appreciate the information.  My wife loves what you did to your steps!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 09:35:19 PM »
Bill,
I did not get smoothed edges. It was not an option, and I don't think it would have been necessary as none of the edges are exposed. Except that i you noticed on the bottom step I added a pull out drawer. So the SS panel was cut for the drawer and piece of stainless was glued to the drawer face. Even though that edge is somewhat visible, it still looks clean.

The LED lights came from LED Supply. https://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips/waterproof-12v-led-strip

I got the yellow colored lights with the aluminum track (the track has a frosted lens so the actual LED is not visible until it is turned on). The strips come in different lengths that can be cut. I got the 3ft lengths for each step and cut to a little off the end since the steps are 32 inches wide. Buying the lights in three individual strips provides the wires needed at the end of each strip to connect to the 12V circuit (as opposed to getting one long strip and cutting into three pieces).

EDIT - To add, for anyone wanting to tile their steps - you will need a "tile nose profile" so the edge of the tile is not visible and to add some slip resistance. I used the Schluter Stair Profile (TREP-SE)  https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Profiles/For-Stairs/Slip-resistant-Treads/c/P-FS-SRT
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:32:23 PM by Mike Shumack »