Author Topic: Where is the fresh water tank level sensor located?  (Read 3870 times)

Mike Shumack

Where is the fresh water tank level sensor located?
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:18:30 PM »
My fresh water tank level sensor (Aladdin system) is not working. It says my tank is empty when it is at least half full.
I looked around for the sensor (I read in the Aladdin manual that it is in the bottom of tank or teed into a pipe at bottom) but I can't see the bottom of tank or any piping. Only the drain port is visible looking underneath.

I located the Tank Level Interface box. All of the cables are plugged in. I pulled the fresh water sensor cable (it looks like a telephone cable) and replugged it, but that didn't help.

I drained the fresh water tank and refilled to about 1/3 but no change - still reading empty on the Aladdin.
NW RV Supply has new level sensors (P/n 16622728) for about $70 with shipping.

Where is this sensor located on a 2005 Patriot? What else should I check before replacing the sensor?

Mike Shumack

Re: Found sensor - left side of tank, about mid-tank, at bottom
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:44:36 PM »
I found the sensor. it is on the left side (at mid-tank) of the fresh water tank. This photo is taken from the storage compartment (bay next to tank) looking down over the bay divider.
I don't see any way to access this sensor other than cutting an access hole at the bottom of the divider wall.
I'm still not sure the sensor is bad. I could have a broken wire or bad tank interface, I suppose.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Re: Where is the fresh water tank level sensor located?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 08:52:43 PM »
 Mine always reads 102 gallons regardless of the actual level even when it is empty. After overfilling it a couple times and water pooring down into my basement I now use a flowmeter and not go over 80 gallons starting from empty.  I understand there is a procedure to calibrate the water tank to make the sensor readings correct. I am not exactly sure how it is done but I believe you have to empty the tank and then fill the tank and adjust as you go along.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 02:29:10 AM »
The Aladdin manual is in the BAC Members Only section under Equipment and Manuals. It shows how to calibrate the sensors.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jeff Watt

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 03:11:54 PM »
I haven’t checked but do you know if the re-calibration also applies to the propane tank. Mine often reads high, I.e. 85% or more. The actual gauge on the tank isn’t that high.

Jeff

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 04:34:41 PM »
The Aladdin troubleshooting manual only covers up to the 2006 model year (it is possible that the 2007 is the same as '06).
The calibration section says "the LP-Gas Level calibration is done during production of the Tank Interface Module. No field calibrations are requires and the only setting required is tank capacity". It also says "any observed errors in the LP-Gas tank reading are most likely related to the tank sensor or wiring".
__

Regarding my "Fresh Water Tank" reading empty all the time - I suppose it wont hurt to try a calibration.
I'm skeptical that is the problem as I can't see how the calibration could be off that far (I imagine a calibration is for when the the tank readings are just a few gallons/percent off). But it cost nothing to try. The manual says I need to enter a maintenance code to access the calibration screen. The code should be 1218.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 04:28:58 PM »
In 07 Monaco opted for the Aladdin Jr. in the Contessa. Not sure about Patriots.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 05:18:04 PM »
In 07 Monaco opted for the Aladdin Jr. in the Contessa. Not sure about Patriots.
Steve

I believe there is a manual for the Aladdin Jr. in the same section of the Members Only Board.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

Amount of water i Fresh Water Tank seems to change reading on Grey tank
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 04:19:11 PM »
I've been messing around with the Fresh Water tank trying to figure out if the level sensor is bad or dirty, or if the wiring/module is bad.

When I started, I noticed on the display in the wetbay, the tanks levels were showing 20% in the Grey tank, 10% in the Black tank, and 0 in the fresh tank (which was actually about 1/2 full).

Then I drained the fresh tank completely and noticed my Grey tank was now reading 10% full (on the display in the wetbay).

Either the coach shifted enough to change the level in Grey tank (if it shifted it wasn't obvious) when I drained the fresh water out, or somehow the signals are mixing. Is that even possible?

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 09:30:57 PM »
Mike, That Fw sensor is in a tough spot! Have you tried the Aladdin reset above the driver seat? Could it be that the tank sensor wiring (phone plugs) are not in the right jack on the Aladdin level board? The sensors are analog pressure sensors, if that helps. If you can't fix, try a SeeLevel system, I hear they make one that can plug right into the Aladdin system. I have a SeeLevel system on my TT, works great.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."