Author Topic: Aluminum Hydraulic Oil Cooler  (Read 2553 times)

Lee Welbanks

Aluminum Hydraulic Oil Cooler
« on: July 01, 2019, 03:33:36 AM »
Pulled into rv park in Island Park, ID and found that the hyd oil cooler was leaking, got the coach parked and checked it out. Two years ago when the POS Goodyear tag axle tire blew the rubber slapped the bottom of the sheet metal and bent the bottom row on the cooler so I figured that was where the oil was seeping out. First off started calling around to see if I could find a shop that can weld aluminum, found one 93 miles away in Idaho Falls, (First Street Welding) called them up and they said bring her in, Ok remove the cooler head to the shop, we put the cooler on the welding table pressurized it with air and could not find any leak anywhere, they didn't have but 120 psi air pressure. So I fugured the only was to find this seep was back 93 miles to the coach re-install loosely so it would stand out from the rad so I could see the back side, fire up the coach and found the leak about 6 rows up backside in the front end. Scribed real good where the oil was seeping out, remove, back to the shop and showed Shane where the leak was. He ran a beautiful bead about 8" long down that side we also took a real good look and the rest of the welding on the cooler. When this cooler was welded up they had some undercutting on the ends of the tubes and that one finally let go. Oh and they only charged me $43 I told them they were too cheap.
Back to the coach re-install again, start her up and no leak, dry as a bone, we're not down in Alpine, Wy and all is good.
I can just imagine what the drill would have been like it they were not able to weld up the cooler.
If you're anywhere around Idaho Falls, ID and need some welding done you couldn't go wrong with First Street Welding and Fab.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Aluminum Hydraulic Oil Cooler
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 08:01:04 AM »
Steve, be sure to add this to our repair vendor listings.  Lee, thank you.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 06:18:00 PM »
They are listed.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 11:04:13 PM »
I forgot to mention that First Street Welding can fab just about anything out of steel or aluminum.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 05:16:45 PM »
Lee, were you at Valley View in Island Park? Two different PTs came in there while we were there. Before traveling to Victor ID, we also made side trip to Idaho Falls for repairs. Western States Cat, and Snake River RV & Hitch, respectively.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 08:45:22 PM »
Stan, Yes we were at Valley View site H-6 I think. First Street does all kinds of hitches, there was a fellow in having the whole front of his popup trailer replaced.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 03:28:50 AM »
I remember seeing your coach, Lee. We thought someone had hit it, although we couldn't figure out how that was possible, when we saw the radiator door open, and something lying on the ground. Glad it was just you taking it apart. We were in H-9. Right before you came in, another PT was in the same spot, H-6.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad