Author Topic: TV/Antenna update  (Read 2908 times)

Christopher Clark

TV/Antenna update
« on: April 27, 2018, 01:26:10 PM »
We have the original TV and antenna equipment on our 2002 Monterey. We like to watch local news and weather when we travel. With all the improvements in TV and antenna, is there any clear choice on what to choose for an update?? All suggestions appreciated! Thanks, Chris

Mike Shumack

Re: TV/Antenna update
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 02:25:02 PM »
I switched to the Winegard Roadstar antenna http://www.winegard.com/mobile?q=mobile
It is designed for over-the-air digital HDTV broadcasts and does not need to be aimed. I did not want a "crank up" antenna either since my coach is not set up for that type. If your coach is drilled for the "crank up and aim" style, Winegard has a model for that style too.

I also added the Winegard SignalPro http://www.winegard.com/sensarpro as I needed a way to power the antenna. The scanning feature is not needed since this antenna is not aimed, but it looks good and keeps the antenna powered (which is necessary with that antenna).

I used the existing coax cable to the antenna and the mounting plate fit the same holes in the roof from the old antenna.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 02:41:39 PM »
Chris,
The Roadstar is a good antenna and is omnidirectional as Mike notes. While the Sensar (batwing) with the HD antenna is directional, it improves the range from 35 to 55 miles. If you change out your original booster to the Winegard Sensar Pro you'll be able to aim the antenna for max signal strength. We've had this set-up for a number of years and are pleased with its performance, but it is a bit more hassle than Mike's suggestion.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 02:57:33 PM »
Chris,
I just installed a Winegard Rayzar (http://www.winegard.com/rayzarauto) on my Solitaire. It is fully automatic directional antenna and works great here at the house (NW Phoenix valley) were amplified TV antennas are necessary. I will know more about its performance when I start traveling next week. It is a little expensive for an off the air antenna (best price that I found was a little under $300 for everything in one box complete), but I think that the convenience and performance will be worth it.

Gerald

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »
Chris, just installed  https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA8500-Directional-Antenna-Signal/dp/B01N1MLFGK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524844837&sr=8-1&keywords=king+jack+rv+antenna  Great looking antenna, great price, very easy to install. Went from 2 channels with old antenna, to 20 inside my RV storage building. If you decide on this model, they make a base plate that covers the old holes on roof. Makes the job easier with base plate. Lots of choices out there. Good luck. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 07:59:05 PM »
Chris, I installed the Winegard Rayzar in our 06 PT 2 years ago it worked great, Our new Anthem came with the same unit flat on the roof so no issue if you forget to lower it. We do get 12-25 channels with a simple set up at each stop.

I found this on Amazon if you buy it be sure to use the Beaver link to Amazon the club gets a kick back from Amazon.

Winegard Rayzar Automatic RZ-8500 Fully Automatic RV Antenna (4K Ultra-HD Ready, ATSC 3.0 Ready, Digital VHF /...
by Winegard
$298.00 $ 298 00 Prime
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 10:43:03 PM »
When our batwing went belly up we just happened to be in Bend.  Jim Sizemore tried fixing it, but internal electronics had corroded such that I spent a weekend there replacing the unit.  Jim strongly advised against antenna styles similar to the King Jack models, because he’d replaced so many of them that had failed within short periods. 

At All Seasons RV and Marine nearby I found a Rayzar model http://www.hannarv.com/P/WinegardCoRVRZWRayzarAirAntennawithLiftMountWhite/23775
, that could be added to the existing lift mechanism, at an excellent price.  It worked better than the batwing there, but on our home pad here the house is between the coach and the broadcast towers, limiting stations it can resolve.  The batwing rose higher and with a wider span picked up all channels.  The one advantage to the Rayzar is you don’t have to rotate it as far to zero in on reception, because it picks up on either the front or back flat surfaces, unlike the batwing that often must be rotated over 300 degrees.

I’m not certain Winegard makes that version anymore, and if I were to do it again I’d consider Gerald’s recommended model.  It may not help here at home or in remote areas where height can be an advantage, but it’s tree branch safe, wind-proof dome, and crank-and-rotate-free, automatic search feature is a big plus.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Christopher Clark

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 01:26:39 PM »
Thanks to all that have responded! What about the tv? LCD,LED? Has one been proven more RV friendly? More durable/resistant to vibration and large temperature range? Smart tv?

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »
I have been very happy with the smart Samsungs LED HD 1080 they have the best picture. I have steered clear of the 4K they use more power.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 03:11:31 PM »
Chris,
Older LCD TVs used cold cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFLs) to provide backlighting, whereas LED TV's used an array of smaller, more efficient light emitting diodes (LEDs) to illuminate the screen, which gave them a few advantages. Now, all LCD TVs use LED lights, and are colloquially considered LED TVs.

The only flat screen TV that I would suggest that you avoid is a plasma screen. They are very uncommon today, but if you find one, do not buy it. They are heavier, do not have as good of a picture as the new LED sets, and are prone to failure from vibration and altitude. All of which make they a poor choice for an RV.

I installed a 43 inch 4K Samsung Smart TV in my Solitaire after I purchased it to replace the original 40 inch plasma TV. It weighs very little (19 lbs.), has a bright picture, and has such high contrast that it looks as good or better than real life. The new OLED (organic light emitting diode) TVs have even a better picture, but at 2 to 4 times the price, and as such I do not know of anyone using one in a coach, so I do not know how their service life will be in a coach.

Remember that the new TV will have to be mounted somewhere, so take that into consideration when purchasing. If you make cabinet modifications to fit the new TV, it becomes a permanent part of the coach, and therefore you want the best that you can afford in longevity and picture quality.   

One caution is that all of the thin flat screen TVs today have what I consider as a subpar speaker system. This is because they are so thin that the down firing speakers are on about an inch or so across, and it is worse when they are built into cabinets. So you might consider wiring the new TV into your sound system or adding a sound bar. 

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »
I personally am not a fan of Samsung electronics or refrigerators, due to personal experience with poor design and parts quality.  That said, many here have Samsung TVs and refrigerators that have had no issues, and are very happy with them.  My problem is that too many other brands use Samsung parts, and that is where my own history meets Samsung negatively. 

We had Jim Sizemore and Greg Fulton in Bend rework our front and rear TV setup a couple of years ago.  When Jim suggested Samsung I cringed and explained I’d much rather go with Sony or LG, two that my several years of research zeroed in on.  Though he usually uses Samsung as replacements, likely because they are everywhere these days (flooded market) and can be cheaper, he had no problem using those other brands.  I suspect he could’ve gotten Samsung for us for less money.  As noted by Gerald, your cabinetry will probably require modification;  Jim and Greg likely already have templates for Samsung from previous coach modifications, and that might have been incentive for recommending the brand too, saving design time and cost.

I’m glad to be rid of the confounded converter boxes, and Jim also cleaned up to the extent he could the “snake pit” of wires in the front cap overhead, although it’s still no place for the foolhardy up there.  He took out the satellite receiver since we don’t subscribe, making in addition to the converter box demise more room and ventilation, and exchanged the original home theater receiver/amp for a modern one.  Both the TV and receiver have HDMI ports, a rare thing in 2006 when the rig was new, so we can adapt components more easily if needed.  I had him put in a 10 foot HDMI cord direct to the TV and coiled up in the component cabinet front corner so I can set an iPad on the dash or console and readily use it with the TV.   

New TVs run a little cooler than our old Sharp, which overheated on occasion in the front cap in hot weather;  and it’s switch would malfunction, even turning the unit on by itself such that I’d use the circuit breaker in the bathroom to keep it off, but which took out the drivers side outlets with it.  That TV has superb speakers on either side of the screen... poor video but great audio.  It’s now our home bedroom TV, and it’s switch has worked fine since.  My point is to consider adding more ventilation during any makeover.  Jim didn’t think ours needed an additional fan or vent holes, but your configuration may be different.

Both of our new TVs are “smart”, so I don’t have to go through my iPad to get WiFi on them.  Streaming movies off a data overloaded park WiFi system is ill-advised anyway, but the smart aspect is nice in certain circumstances.  Jim got both the 40” Sony and the 32” LG at Best Buy I think, and must get a discount as the cost to me was right.  Doing it again I’d go smaller in the bedroom;  32” struck us afterward as a bit too big for watching from bed.  But the LG smart menu/guide is easier to use than most, and reviewers seem to all agree, so our issue with its size in the bedroom is redeemed.  If you haven’t used a Smart TV before, there is a learning curve to the menu, but LG was easier to pick up on than the Sony. 

I’ve been a Sony advocate for decades, but these days with years of research and now ownership LG is right up there too.  1080p HD is adequate for the coach.  Whether to shell out for 4K is up to you.  But don’t settle for 720p or 60hz refresh... you will be happier with 1080p and at least 120hz.  OLED is the best picture, as Gerald said, but you don’t need to spend for it to be happy.  OLED doesn’t use the old fluorescent or newer edge or full array LED backlighting, but they weren’t that much of a traveling issue for LED/LCD sets, so I’d not expect an issue for OLEDS either if you wanted to spend the money;  I personally wouldn’t however, except for in my house.

Just my 3 cents,
Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat