Author Topic: Windshield wiper setting  (Read 4344 times)

George Frudakis

Windshield wiper setting
« on: May 02, 2018, 03:32:50 AM »
Is there a certain wiper shaft that goes to the right side and one that goes to the left. The screw that comes out of the motor is flat on two sides and the other side is round. The problem I am having is the wiper does not go near the mullen after completing its cycle. It stops about 10 inches away. My thought, if I take the left side put it on the right side, would the flat side be in a different location that would allow the wiper to near the mullen? I turned the wiper motor on until it ran it cycle. I want to install the shaft to fit on the shaft to position it to be next to the mullen. Will this work?

Mike Shumack

Re: Windshield wiper setting
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 03:00:43 PM »
George,
If I understand you, the wipers do not "park" in the correct position when you shut them off. Is this what your saying - or are you saying the wiper does not reach the mullen (vertical position) when in operation?

If they don't "park" in the correct position then most likely the wiper motor is bad (the park feature is built into the motor assembly).

I don't see how swapping left to right is going to help.
Also, is the shaft where the wiper arm attaches "splined" - if so did you check it to make sure the splines are not stripped?

In the photo below, is this showing the correct setup for your coach?

George Frudakis

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 03:23:26 PM »
Thanks, Mike for your response. Yes, they do not park near the mullen. When I turn on the wiper they wipe down to the curve of the glass then come back to about 8 inches from the mullen.The shaft is not stripped. I may need to set the park setting in the motor. Any idea on how I do this.
Thanks
George
And thanks BAC for this forum.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 03:43:06 PM »
George, I don't know the specifics on your wiper setup - so I'm guessing at some of this. Maybe someone else will be able to provide more information.

In my experience (working on older cars/trucks) the park function is built into the wiper motor and can not be adjusted. If the park function contacts are dirty you might be able to clean them, but other than that, you would need to replace the motor assembly.

This is a diagram for my Ford truck. I believe it is similar to the wiper motor setup in our coaches.
When the wiper switch is turned off, there is still power applied to the "park contact". If the wiper arm is not in park position (vertical), power still flows through the park contact and keeps the motor running. Once the wiper arm reaches park position on the windshield the electrical park contact is no longer in contact with power and the motor shuts off.

So if the park contact was dirty or worn out, once you shut off the wipers power to the motor could be interrupted before the wiper arm reaches park position. This would stop the wiper arm before it parks in the correct position.

If you can tell me the make/model of your wiper motor, I would be happy to continue researching this.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 03:52:16 PM by Mike Shumack »

Jim Houghton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 06:11:32 PM »
If while running they don't come to the center properly and are going clear out on the curved part of the windshield. I believe it is just a splined shaft and you just need to remove the arm from the motor and move one spline closer to the center.
2021 Entegra Cornerstone
2003 Beaver Contessa Tuscany (sold)
Pleasant View, TN :)

Jim Houghton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 06:19:30 PM »
Also I saw your other post and the two rods should not cross each other. They should be parallel with the smaller guide rod on the outside and the pivot bracket also pointing to the outside of the windshield. Someone may have installed them backwards.
2021 Entegra Cornerstone
2003 Beaver Contessa Tuscany (sold)
Pleasant View, TN :)

George Frudakis

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 01:41:54 AM »
I repaired the crossover issue and will try and move the arm one notch over to see if that works.
Thanks all
will let you know  my result.

On another item, is there a special tool to take off the cap on the tire stem value to the inside tire on the rear, so i can add air? my coach has a cap with a round ball on the end and every time i put the compressor on it it will not seed and just lets air out. If I take that cap off and the stem valve will except my end and fill the air.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 06:54:03 PM »
Are you talking about the valve stem extension (looks like a ball in the end) like in this photo. I have those on my coach and it is hard to get air chuck to seat on them when filling tire.

If this is what you have, you can just unscrew it (grab with needle-nose pliers). The tire valve stem that that extension is screwed onto has a "valve core" so the air will not escape when the extension is removed.

George Frudakis

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 09:27:14 PM »
Thanks, I did the needle noise pillars and fill the tire with air and replace with a hex head cap that I can take off easier.