Author Topic: Wheel polish  (Read 3331 times)

George Frudakis

Wheel polish
« on: June 26, 2018, 10:43:44 PM »
Any suggestions on what brand of polish for the body and wheel. Want to look good driving down the road.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Wheel polish
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 11:26:14 PM »
George
I am full of suggestions. Just ask my wife!
If your wheels are not coated then a good polishing is nice but work.  I used 'White Diamond` polish.  It is available at most auto parts stores.  It will clean up your wheels lookin sharp!  It will also polish plastic so use it on your headlights and marker lights etc.
The best wash I have used is a ZEP product called ' Blue Marvel Truck Wash'.  Unlike many wash and wax producta this doesnt leave behing a residue.  It cleans wo well that it takes off most oxidation and even cleans up your wheels and chrome.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 12:12:58 AM »
My coach has the Accuride wheels which have a clear coat finish (Accu-Shield). If you have this wheel type (my wheels have a decal and stamp on them identifying them), be careful you do not remove the coating while cleaning. Some chrome cleaners and wheel cleaners/degreasers are too strong and can remove the clear coat.

Accuride has a cleaning buletine (2.0037) mentioned that they say has cleaning instructions - but I can't find this online.
There is also a bulletin on "repairing minor damage too (attached).

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 12:24:27 AM »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 01:33:09 AM »
My wheels, like Mike's, also indicate AccuShield clearcoated on them and abrasives will damage them.  A product like Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner should be okay, but check this  https://www.accuridewheelendsolutions.com/files/2012/09/Accu-Shield-General-Cleaning-Procedure.pdf

also-

https://www.accuridewheels.com/files/2014/04/W2.025-Cleaning-Handling-and-Repair-Procedures-Accu-Shield®-Aluminum-Wheels.pdf

The video Monaco included with our coach recommended Dawn for overall coach cleaning, then polishing with a product like Meguiar's M66 using a PorterCable 7424 polisher and orange discs.  M66 is a DAT polish, diminishing abrasive technology.  That part is time-consuming but the machine does the work except for an easy microfiber wipe off of each section as you go.  More time is spent getting by hand all the nooks and crannies around awning and other fixtures where the machine can't reach. And you go through several discs on a rig our size, so I got a disc cleaner bucket contraption too.

Do not try to polish AccuShield wheels.  A light wipe of HydroSilex or Aerospace 303 might do though.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 01:47:41 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat