Author Topic: Help! My transmission won't shift  (Read 6022 times)

John Padmore

Help! My transmission won't shift
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:34:17 PM »
I need to move the motorhome after sitting for 2 years. Allison says mode is on Service and won't shift gears. Can I get it to shift out of mode? I have an appt. With lazydays tomorrow for some work. Thanks. John.

1997 Patriot Ticonderoga 37'

Mike Shumack

Re: Help! My transmission won't shift
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 08:24:26 PM »
John,
What transmission model do you have - the 3000?

How are determining the tranny is in Service mode? I see nothing in the Allision manual about this specific mode.

D you mean the "Mode" light is On? What happens when you push the Mode button?

Have you checked the fluid level?

John Padmore

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 08:37:03 PM »
No idea what model. The display above the mode button says service on. On the dash a light says do mot shift. Fluid level is good.

John Padmore

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 08:46:11 PM »
If I press the up down arrows at the same time the display changes to D 1 then 2 3 then 1 2. If I press the mode button the display says mode on 1 6 then 3 5 then d2. Anytime I press R or D it goes back to mode on service.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 09:00:16 PM »
I would call Allison again and ask them how to get out of this predicament and if they can't help, can they give you a mobile service tech who can help.  I know there is a box with 2 hidden fuses in the electrical bay for the transmission.  You must open that box to see the fuses. 
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 03:15:37 AM »
Hi Roy, there is a box location think is with the transmission ECM. It size is about 8 inches x 6 and
About 2 inches deep. The cover has eight screws and when removed you will see two rolls of relays
With a 10 amp fuse on each end. If your touch pad does not light in it will not shift and is a 10 amp fuse. In the relay group clearly marked is the trans neutral safety switch not getting power. Have run
Into this problem with snowbirds in desert leaving to go back north. Do not know where you are located but have Allison computer diagnostic software where I can plug into and troubleshooting
What is going on but really think you will find problem in the relay box. Dave Atherton Retired Cat
Mechanic

John Padmore

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 06:05:32 PM »
I am in Black Hawk colorado.

John Padmore

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 06:25:30 PM »
From what I gather the codes are
D1

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 08:22:19 PM »
This may help.  Anyways, it's something to look at.  It has error codes for Allison transmissions.

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/transmissions/shift_selector.pdf
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 09:15:40 PM »
There is a troubleshooting-repair manual here: https://elibrarywcl.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/diagnosticcodes.pdf

For the Code 35, subcode 16 it says:
Hopefully the cause was just the situation described in paragraph 1.

John Padmore

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 08:10:41 PM »
Dave, I replaced the neutral safety switch relay and a couple of fuses that I thought might be adding to the problem but no luck. Still the same codes :D1 35 16. No other codes. Any other info to try would be much appreciated. Thanks.
John.

John Padmore

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 11:56:27 PM »
Well mobile rv tech checked power and ground to the ecm and all was fine. Allison tech and mobile rv tech both say the ecm went bad sitting for 3 years. Does this make sense? The wiring connector looks like it was just put in yesterday. Worth buying a used one if I can find it? Thanks, John.

Mike Shumack

John Padmore

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 03:57:20 AM »
Found the problem. The TCM needed to be reprogrammed. $155 fix.
Stewart and Stevenson
180 Route 17 South
Lodi, NJ 07644
Tel: (800) 823-2332

Excellent service. Thank you all for your suggestions.
John.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 05:14:04 PM »
Glad you got it fixed.
I don't understand the cause of the problem though - if everything worked fine 2 years ago when you parked coach, how/why would it need a "reprogramming" now after just sitting? Perhaps an electrical "spike" of some sort erased some of the TCM programming.