Author Topic: Air bags  (Read 1921 times)

Marilyn Ruta

• BAC Member
Air bags
« on: May 15, 2018, 11:47:23 PM »
1998 Beaver Patriot Magnum Suspension 8 air bags. Driver side rear airbags did not inflate. Next day passenger side rear air bags would not inflate. Dumped all air and drained all air tanks, and re-inflated. Still no air to passenger side. Checked rods and levelling valves, everything looks in place and intact. Not sure where to start testing....Do not appear to have any air leaks.    Marc
98 Patriot Ticonderoga

Mike Shumack

Re: Air bags
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 12:07:40 AM »
I would dump air and support chassis with wood blocks or jack stands so it is safe to go under. Then remove one of the lines coming out of height control valve (HCV). Start engine and build some pressure. Is air coming "out" of HCV going to air bag? If not, see if there air going "into" the valve. Then loosen the adjuster bolt and move the valve by hand, does air come out?
If both sides of coach won't raise, it is probably the air supply (on my coach a single air supply line tees off and feeds both sides (both HCVs). But still could be other things.

The above is assuming you do not have an HWH air leveling system. If you do, then the air coming out of HVC goes into the HWH manifold before going to the air bags. In this case it could be a faulty solenoid (bad coil) on the HWH manifold (not opening to let air through to the air bag). I have this exact problem on my coach now.

Marilyn Ruta

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 02:49:21 AM »
Mike...I don't believe there are any electrical controls on this system. I have an air system diagram from Magnum and it all looks pretty simple. What confused me was that it was the drivers side first and the next day the passenger side. Now after dumping the air and completely emptying the air tanks only the rear passengers side doesn't get air. I am now assuming ( I know better) that it must be dirt somewhere in the system. I will block it up and start with your suggestions.  Thanks Marc
98 Patriot Ticonderoga

Marilyn Ruta

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 06:13:11 PM »
Moved bus to a level spot and now have all air bags inflated. Passenger side rear measures 9 1/2 inches, driver side rear measures 11 inches. I read somewhere they should all be 10 inches? Is the procedure to block up and adjust as required?
98 Patriot Ticonderoga

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 09:49:16 PM »
10" is about right. I think spec is 9.75" to 10.5". Be sure to use solid blocks or heavy duty jacks.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 03:59:42 AM »
Marilyn: I have the same  coach  that you have and bought mine in 2000. Tons of learning curve in the past 18 years! Spec sheet said it had a air dryer (and it did not) but this turned out to be a huge source of the problem. After many years of service and replacing several air ride valves, I decide to add an air dryer. All problems now gone for over 10 years.

During all of this testing, I did discover  that often one side of  the coach would air up and the other would not. If you would just wait 5 minutes or so of engine running on the coach it  would eventually level out. Actually on rare occasion, this will still happen. I am just patient.

The life saver was adding the Bendix air dryer.Virtually no water coming out of the tank drains now, since adding that dryer.

I know your problem could be different but I did want to share this information with you.

I happen to have a nice deep pit so I can safely do whatever I want to under the coach with getting crushed!

Feel free to call me if you like from the Beaver Directory phone number.

Larry
Larry Fritz