Author Topic: Balancing new tires - Dry Powder or Beads? Your preference and why?  (Read 3252 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Ordered my new tires, and the work order at the tire shop calls for balancing with dry powder. The tire dealer is Pomp's, and they have 130 stores, so I'm assuming they know what they are doing. I am under the impression that beads is the way to go?

Any difference? What, if any? I have no idea what I have now.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Stan,
I've never used powder but have used beads on the 00  Marquis. They were effective so I didn't install the Centramatic balancers I had on the 01 Contessa. If you use beads, just be sure the shop installs the long valve stem inserts as the normal (short ones) will stick open when a bead gets stuck in them. (Not fun when you're checking pressure and the tire starts losing air through the stem after you remove the tester. Only way to stop is to replace the insert).
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
All our tires, 8 of them, have beads with the long, scorpion-tailed valve cores to prevent leakage.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

I'm not familiar with balancing "powder". I googled it and found a product called "Equal". I thought maybe they are still beads just the manufacturer is calling it a powder (I would think powder would clump as there is moisture in the tire) but could not tell from website. They have a video showing tire assembly and the guy just threw the "powder pack" into the tire without opening the bag. So I assume the package rips open at some point and the bag just stays inside the tire.

I like the Centramatic balancing disks because you can easily move them to another vehicle or reuse them when you do a tire change. I think the drawback to the Centramatic disc is that the disc circumference is smaller (the outside diameter of Centramatic has to fit inside the wheel - around 22.5" OD) whereas with the beads inside the tire they are traveling at the outer diameter of the tire (at the tread - around 40" OD) so they can apply more centrifugal-balancing force. Not sure if this really means anything though.

I have the Centramatics on my truck.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
What do the centramatics cost vs. beads?  TIA
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
Stan, here is a web site for ceramic balancing beads. http://www.innovativebalancing.com/fleets.htm I have them in all 8 tires. Smooth as glass going down road. When checking air, put a shot of air into tire before using gauge to prevent air loss as Steve mentioned above. This clears any beads that may hang up valve core stem. Also, try to check pressure with valve stem at 12:00 position. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Mike Shumack

The Centramatic discs are a little more than twice the cost of beads. http://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balance.rhtml?type=Bus-Motor-Homes

The site linked to in the post above lists the price for 6 wheels (two steering, and four duals) at $168.
The Centramatic are $199 for steering tires, and $215 for the duals = so that's $414

steve zannella

I purchased centramatics  3 years ago and am very happy with no additional wheel balancing required. Florida Shores Truck Center has them for magnum and roadmaster chassis at https://floridashorestruckcenter.com/store/centramatic/ for $168 front pair and $183 rear pair free shipping.

Good deal.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Yep, I use centramatic too. Great product and you never have to think about balancing again. Check out Loves Truck Stops... they are a distributor/installer at a good price.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

James Morse

Stan,

We bought our coach in October of last year but didn't take delivery until December and it had new Toyo tires on the drivers. The tag and steering wheels needed new tires which we bought in March and stayed with Toyos.  I did research on both the Centramatics and balance beads in the tire and went with the beads.  When I took to Les Schwab for tires I told them I would supply the beads when I brought it in and wanted the duals broken down and beads placed in them.  While waiting for the tire installation the service tech came out and said duals already had beads in them.  I think we paid about $15 a tire for the beads at Six Robbles.  The coach has no apparent vibrations at any speed and rides surprisingly smooth.  I need to return the beads we didn't use but I am going to keep a couple of packets as spares.  I would do the beads again.

Thanks, Jim

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Balancing new tires - Dry Powder or Beads? Your preference and why?
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 03:47:12 PM »
Woo hoo! The tires are ordered, and should be in to the dealer in about a week. The good news, they are coming straight from the factory in Mississippi, so the date codes will be new!

Thanks for all of the information and suggestions. I have decided to go with the beads. I talked to the installer who put the current tires on, and he said they used beads. I have had no issue with these tires.

Happy camper here.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad