Author Topic: A/CThermostats  (Read 1394 times)

Thomas James

A/CThermostats
« on: May 16, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »
Hello all. I want to replace the A/C thermostats in my 94 Patriot with newer digital ones. I've looked at the wiring diagrams but still can't seem to figure out if these things are 12v or 110v thermostats. I'm thinking 110. But on the wiring diagram it shows a blue wire that says 12v coming off of it. Confused here. The Thermostats I have now are the Coleman Mach. And I'll probably go back with those. I just want newer digital ones. I don't think these are very accurate, as far as the temp setting goes. Thanks in advance for any help.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: A/CThermostats
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 08:53:53 PM »
I'm no expert here, but since the furnace - whether regular type or hydronic - must work when dry-camping and therefore on 12v, your thermostat should be 12v as well.  The air conditioner units themselves obviously run on 110v, but that doesn't mean the thermostats that control them have to be 110v.  That's what solenoids are for.

Recent threads here re. owners replacing older roof airs have broached the problem that not all thermostat controls mesh 100% with the latest available models, and vice versa.  Hopefully some of them will provide insight for you.  You could also contact the manufacturer of your A/C - Dometic DuoTherm, Penguin, Coleman - for advice.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat