Author Topic: Homemade wheel ramps  (Read 3143 times)

Mike Shumack

Homemade wheel ramps
« on: May 22, 2018, 11:14:17 PM »
I made two wood wheel ramps to use to get my coach high enough to get under to work on. I'm posting this because someone was asking what I use.

It was pretty easy and cheap. I bought one sheet of plywood and two 2"x6" x 8 ft boards (8" wide would have been better). I used decking screws to tie it all together.
Two strips of 2x per side (one board center under each of the dually tires.

This gives me plenty of height to get under coach even with air bags dumped.

The ramps are pretty heavy (probably 40 lbs each) - I added "hand holds" to help move them but I should have left more wood between the edge of plywood and the cutout, because one of the holds already broke.

The four 2x and plywood sandwich gives about 8" of lift. These are heavy enough and the ramp angle is gradual enough that they don't slide or slip out of place while driving up on them.

I should also add that I have 20T jack stands that I would use if I was to pull a tire, but for just getting under the coach, this is all I use.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:16:09 PM by Mike Shumack »
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert, Paul Meehan

Pat Long

Re: Homemade wheel ramps
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 02:39:47 PM »
Mike,     In the first pic it appears that the tag is just hanging in the air because the tire is off the ground.   Do you also support the tag axle while the drive axle is on the ramps?   On my coach I have 4 air bags on my tag and I would not like to have the airbags holding the axle suspended

Mike Shumack

Re: Homemade wheel ramps
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »
Yes, the Tag is hanging - but the Tag Axle is supported by the "chain" from the tag lifting arms, so no pressure on air bags.
My coach has four air bags for the drive axle, and two bags for the tag axle.

There are also limit straps on all the bags so the air bags will never be stressed from over-extended suspension travel.