Author Topic: Three Windshield Gasket Options - Halo kit  (Read 3547 times)

Mike Shumack

Three Windshield Gasket Options - Halo kit
« on: May 18, 2018, 12:58:32 PM »
For those interested, I am trying to get a replacement windshield gasket. I spoke with JC at Beaver Coach Sales. Apparently there are three "options" (3 gaskets used) when my coach was built. I'm not sure if this applies to earlier of later coaches or other models. Mine is a 2005 Patriot.

If you have a '05 you may want to save this info (or at least be aware in case you ever need a gasket.

Mine looks like Option 2 (although dimensions are not given for Option 2, the other Options appear to be narrower).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:21:28 PM by Mike Shumack »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Three Windshield Gasket Options - for 2005
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 02:47:45 PM »
The gasket on our coach's windshield looks most like #3.  I wish it was about 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide to give it more "groove" on each side to float between the windshield's edge and the coach's metal windshield frame when leveling and returning to Travel Mode.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 04:28:36 PM »
On Option 3, is there a rubber filler strip that goes into the groove (groove at top of picture. which is the same groove I think in Option 1 but shown at bottom of pic.) like a rubber "rope", which is just not shown in the Options?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 04:31:05 PM by Mike Shumack »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 04:46:17 PM »
Yes.  That groove on the top and exterior side of the gasket holds a rubber rope.  The rope is removable and makes the gasket more flaccid, and thus making removal and replacement of the gasket easier.  With the rubber rope inserted in the groove, the gasket is stiffer and makes a better seal from water/wind leakage between the windshield and metal windshield frame.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Mike Shumack

Halo kit
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 07:34:06 PM »
I've been researching windshield replacement and came across a bunch of posts on "Halo kit".  https://www.google.com/search?q=Halo&x=42&y=13&sitesearch=irv2.com

Apparently the earlier (pre-2008 models) Monaco coaches were lacking in structural support in the upper windshield area (if I understand the issue correctly).

A "Halo Kit" was developed to add windshield support. It sounds like it involved removing the front cabinets and TV and some of the interior roofing to add bracing/supports.

Since my windshield is broken now - this would be time to make any modifications, if needed.

Did this issue also impact the 2005 Beaver's?

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Three Windshield Gasket Options - Halo kit
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 02:03:46 AM »
Mike,
I would like to tell you to call BCS and talk to Ken, but that option no longer exists.  You might try Shawn now, but I don't know if his history covers this.  As for my 2005 PT, Vicksburg, I can't honestly answer that.  I know that I haven't had anything added in that area, and we have only had one windshield crack due to any type of flexing and it did crack from a repaired rock hit area.  We pulled into a Pilot for a noon break and the parking area was so full of pot holes that one couldn't drive around them and when we went into one of the holes, the windshield cracked.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Mike Shumack

Re: Three Windshield Gasket Options - Halo kit
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 11:28:46 AM »
Thanks for your feedback.
My windshield cracked because of a malfunctioning leveling system.

I probably should not go "looking" for problems. I'll just have the glass replaced and move on. There's plenty of other things to spend my money on.