Author Topic: Urgent fuel leak problem  (Read 2778 times)

Adam Hicklin

Urgent fuel leak problem
« on: May 19, 2018, 09:01:59 PM »
I have a fuel leak.  At the front, top of the fuel tank there are 3 hoses.  The small hose  (1/2 inch in diameter) which looks like regular fuel line and is attached with a regular hose clamp (see photo)  has split about 6 inches from the clamp/fitting.  It’s leaking quite a bit of fuel while running.  The hose travels another 6-8 inches then disappears in to the frame rail. 

Questions: I’m guessing this is the return fuel line.  Can I simply cut the hose and splice in a new piece with a barbed fitting and hose clamps?  Obviously there is no way to replace the whole line. If that is the solution, how much fuel loss should I be prepared for when I cut the line? Any other ideas which I may be missing?  The good news is that the fuel fittings are on the front of the tank and I don’t need to drop the tank to access them, but there still isn’t much working room. 

Thanks in advance. 

Adam Hicklin

Re: Urgent fuel leak problem
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 09:03:28 PM »
Trying to post pic. 

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 09:45:09 PM »
Check the Forum’s General Boards > Forum Assistance section for any help you may need posting photos, Adam.  I’d think your repair plan is one I’d pursue for now, and ask if it’s adequate long-term the next time I had the coach in for chassis service.  To mitigate fuel spillage, before cutting the bad section out of the hose I’d use a couple of channel-locks as clamps on either side of my cuts.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 03:41:22 PM »
Adam, what you are saying hose in question has a hose clamp. This is a good thing is repair.
You fuel return to tank hose you CAC cut section out insert a brass 1/2 barb fitting spice and
reconnect back on tank. The answer to your question there is very little pressure on this return
fuel line. On your C-12 engine your fuel system is a closed loop where fuel is maintained under
pressure in a manifold and excess fuel return back to tank with very little pressure that is why
there is a hose clamp at tank ( if system pressure would be involved there would be a screw on
fitting.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 04:26:27 PM »
Thanks Dave and Joel.  I cut out as much as I could before the hose disappeared in to the frame rail, while still leaving enough exposed to splice the new piece of hose in.  I’m a little concerned because the whole exposed section of the hose showed signs of cracking and was leaking in several spots.  My hope is that the section of hose in the frame rail is in better shape. 

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 11:24:41 PM »
All fixed.  Hopefully the line in the frame rail will last another 20 years.