Author Topic: 12 v wires in bed room celing  (Read 6150 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: 12 v wires in bed room celing
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 10:17:21 PM »
I understand the dream of a fan in the bedroom, we have the same dream.  But keep in mind the unit must be properly mounted to roof framing.  If it’s critical in a stick house, it certainly is more so in something that bounces up and down a lot.

Beyond all that is that this thread to me ignores the obvious... why is the CO detector missing in Jim’s coach.  A previous owner, annoyed by an old and noisy, failing detector, likely removed it, then simply capped the hole with little consideration for why a new one should be there.  I guess if you want to kick the bucket from odorless monoxide in your sleep, while dreaming of a fan, that’s one way.  I’d rather have the CO detector in place, then dream of where and how the suggested remote-controlled fan could be installed on remaining ceiling space.

Not sure I’d put in the detector and then tap it’s wires for fan power, as the power for safety devices such as that should be dedicated and not risk-encumbered by devices more at risk for power draw fuse failure.

Just my opinion.
Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 12:06:04 AM »
Thanks Jim.  Have you thought about how you are going to mount it to the ceiling yet?  Just curious.  My ceiling looks like it's about 2 inch thick foam of some kind and the fan might stay connected to it but not quite ready to trust it.  Any ideas for a slightly dense guy like me?  Thanks
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 12:17:45 AM »
I understand the dream of a fan in the bedroom, we have the same dream.  But keep in mind the unit must be properly mounted to roof framing.  If it’s critical in a stick house, it certainly is more so in something that bounces up and down a lot.

Beyond all that is that this thread to me ignores the obvious... why is the CO detector missing in Jim’s coach.  A previous owner, annoyed by an old and noisy, failing detector, likely removed it, then simply capped the hole with little consideration for why a new one should be there.  I guess if you want to kick the bucket from odorless monoxide in your sleep, while dreaming of a fan, that’s one way.  I’d rather have the CO detector in place, then dream of where and how the suggested remote-controlled fan could be installed on remaining ceiling space.

Not sure I’d put in the detector and then tap it’s wires for fan power, as the power for safety devices such as that should be dedicated and not risk-encumbered by devices more at risk for power draw fuse failure.

Just my opinion.
Joel
I read your post last obviously as I was wondering how to safely mount the fan also.  As far as the CO detector goes, mine was beeping it's inanimate butt off in the driveway for the last week.  Needed a new battery so I decided to update it to the new model that detects CO and propane.  I'm aware propane sinks to floor but it will be secondary.  Anyway I will tap into those wires because the detector uses 108 ma@ 12VDC.  That is a very small draw.  The fan uses 1 amp @ 12VDC.  Also small. The wires appear to be pretty good size so I don't anticipate an issue.  Thanks
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 02:17:06 PM »
As for this fan, its weight (listed at 7 lbs) is considerably less than that of a standard house fan. Once I receive it should be easy enough to determine structural requirements but I do not expect it to be a major issue due to its proximity to the A/C framing. We are also mounting into plywood rather than sheetrock that does not do well with fan vibration.

As for CO detector, I had realized the coach did not have one when I first purchased it but the manual does not indicate where in the coach the CO detector would have been located. I therefore installed 2 wall mount detectors in the coach. One located in bedroom and one in the forward cabin in that there are 4 or 5 potential sources for CO in the coach. I had some acquaintances that were victims of CO poisoning, a rather insidious way to go.
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee