Author Topic: Mounting a TV bracket to basement ceiling. How?  (Read 3185 times)

Mike Shumack

Mounting a TV bracket to basement ceiling. How?
« on: June 06, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »
I bought a basement ceiling mount TV slide-out bracket. http://www.morryde.com/products/117-slide-out-flip-down-ceiling-mount

Now I'm looking for some advice on mounting it.

I'm going to put it in the basement compartment curbside where the TV cable and 120V power plug are located.

How thick is the plywood in the basement ceiling?

I was thinking that I would glue and screw a piece of 3/4" plywood to basement ceiling then attach the TV mount to that. I could make a supporting bracket that comes off the frame rail at the back of that compartment but that seems like overkill. Does anyone have a basement TV? Did Beaver ever offer one?

Lee Welbanks

Re: Mounting a TV bracket to basement ceiling. How?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 11:29:53 PM »
I mounted a TV in the bay with the slide out tray, there is a square tube steel support exactly in the middle, so I fab'd a swing down bracket to mount the TV. For travel it is turned around and swings up into the ceiling on some corner pads. Just for safety I use a couple straps to hold it tight against the pads.
The ceiling in my bays have a carpet like surface which you cannot glue to. Also most all the ceiling panels are thin 1/4" plywood and would not support anything.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 12:04:49 AM »
If the ceiling structure is not strong enough - then perhaps I can run some 1/4" angle iron from the body frame supports in the two adjacent compartments. Then mount/weld the TV slide to that.

The compartment on the left in photo is where the TV mount would go.
I could bolt the angle iron support frame to the body frame structure shown in the photo and run it to compartment shown on the right side of photo which has a similar body support frame

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 12:27:47 AM »
Your frame is completely different from mine, I would install a couple angle pieces across the frame struts, maybe three one to hand the tv mount on and the others to fold the tv up against. I actually welded up the mount I used as I could not find a fold down mount that would turn the tv around 180 degrees. I was informed by a couple tech's that tv's should travel with the screen up, has worked so far for four years and 40K miles on america's smooth roads.