Author Topic: Slide Out Seal - Bottom  (Read 5784 times)

Bruce Benson

Slide Out Seal - Bottom
« on: February 10, 2011, 02:15:58 AM »
The bottom seal on my living room slide out is coming apart, probably due to old age and frequent use.  I have searched the forum and found a couple of references to the problem but no one has come forward with information on the solution.

It appears to be a black flat strip of rubber that is somehow attached to the housing below the slide out.  There is a row of pop rivets along the face of what appears to be sheet metal that wraps between the slide out rails and the coach underfloor.  The seal looks like it is tucked between these two surfaces and squeezed in place by the rivets.    

Has anyone replaced this seal or watched it being replaced?  I wonder if the rivets are just drilled out, the metal opened up a bit, and the seal pulled out from between the sheet metal and the floor assembly.  

I noticed someone thought that this seal was just a dust cover.  With the cold weather we are having here in Texas the last week, I can assure you that the seal does keep a huge flow of air from coming in underneath the sofa!  So much for the theory that south of I-10 is warm.

Thanks!

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Slide Out Seal - Bottom
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:23:21 AM »
I have replaced this seal myself and helped another Beaver owner replace theirs. It is more than a dust seal and will let in a LOT of cold air in the winter if the slide is out. The rivets can be drilled out to replace it. I bought a new seal from the parts dept. at Beaver Coach Sales in Bend, OR. but it can be found online. After drilling out the rivets I laid the aluminum moldings on the replacement seal and pre-drilled them. I left about 4 inches extra length of rubber at each end to trim off after installation. It helps to have an air driven rivet gun and to be small in size (like me) to get into that small space. Took about 2 hours. Marty
 The seal can be found at "rubbercal.com" and is called skirtboard.

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 05:18:42 AM »
I have also had the seal replaced.  It has "gone" again, and away from service centers.  As a temporary measure, I went to a hardware store and bought some 1/2" water pipe insulation and shoved it in the crack.  It worked while parked for a month or so.  If you need temporary respite from the wind, it works.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 02:01:11 PM »
Our original seal had cut outs at each roller to prevent catching the seal in the roller and allowed cold and hot air to circulate among other things. It was replaced by the old Tampa (service center) before Camp Wildwoord. Be sure the new seal is not too wide to prevent it from being caught in the rollers. We sealed the inside of the coach simuilar to Jerry and found a much warmer or cooler effect. If you have any angles cutting at the apex of each corner helps seal intergity. I our case the bottom seal replacement is complicated by the storage than comes out with the slide bottom.