Author Topic: When to Replace Tires?  (Read 6542 times)

Kelly Bluebaugh

When to Replace Tires?
« on: June 15, 2018, 08:05:16 PM »
The Michelin tires on our Patriot are now five years old, look in good condition with no visible weathering, no cracks, and the tread looks good. However, some people say you should replace the tires every so many years regardless?. For some 5 years, Some say 6, and some say 8. We are getting ready for a road trip across the country. Should we replace tires even if they look good at 5 years? How many years is everyone else running a tire?  Thanks!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: When to Replace Tires?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:50:21 PM »
No, Kelly, you shouldn’t need to worry about that quite yet.  Yes, you’ll hear different numbers from different people, and the same will undoubtedly occur here in response to your question.  But the commonly accepted one is six to seven years, and they are too expensive to switch out before necessary. My original Goodyear’s were 9 when we replaced them with Toyos, and were like yours in great condition.  They spent 95% of their life fully shaded from sun, though, unlike most.  Motor home tires age out before they wear out, and between years 7 and 9 I fretted a bit until we could afford new ones.

A better current investment would be chassis improvements like a steering stabilizer if the coach doesn’t already have one.  There is peace of mind in a Safe-T-Plus, for example, that can assist handling in the event of a failure regardless of brand new or 9 year-old tires.  The bonus is improved handling in wind, uneven roads, and passing trucks.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 10:49:02 PM »
Kelly,
Your 5 year old Michelins should give you a few more years of service, and some owners run them even longer, but my limit is around 7 years. However, all tires do not age equally because they are not in identical service, so if you are planning to extend your tire life, have them thoroughly inspected by a tire expert.

Gerald

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 10:52:01 PM »
We have had three blow outs (2 right rear inside duals and one right front). The inside duals were due to one age and the other a cut. The front right tire was an unknown cause as age, wear, etc did not seem to be the problem. We also have the Safe T Plus.
We change our tires now ever five years and have not had any more problems.
We look at this as being as safe as possible.
As someone told us - everything is riding on those tires. A blow out can be very very very serious.
The following users thanked this post: Mike Tomas

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 01:36:57 AM »
We hope to get 7 or 8 years out of our tires.  Whenever the coach is parked for more than a few days and before leveling the coach, I put the wheel covers on to keep the direct sun off them.  Putting on the wheel covers takes only a few minutes per wheel.  Direct sun and underinflation are two things that are tire-killers and the coach owner has more control of those two things than road hazards.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 03:07:14 AM »
I thought 7 years was the safe duration, but after a front tire failure at 6.5  years and resultant severe coach damage, I'll replace every 6 years regardless of tire condition. Coach was stored indoors when not in use.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Doug Allman

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 11:57:41 AM »
I totally agree with Steve. 6 years is maxing the safe tire life and any other time span is riding on borrowed time. Looks by the naked eye mean nothing as so many factors are at play that you cannot visually see. One item that contributes greatly to longevity is keeping inflation to its standard at all times.

FYI, on our 2017 Entegra Cornerstone you cannot install a Safe-T-Plus due to interference with the type steering Spartan Chassis uses. That has me searching to no avail for some way to get this type Safety item for the steers which are critical to keeping on the road when having a blowout. We have previously had a blowout at 65 mph on a steer and with the Safe-T-Plus the coach went straight down the road with my wife driving.

The only remedy I can see that might give some help is to have nitrogen installed in all the tires as nitrogen does not expand due to heat so tires run cooler, the nitrogen molecule is larger than an air molecule so it does not escape thru the rubber. This only provides a tire to be continuing at the required pressure much more consistently.

Running your tires at a lower than normal pressure for the weight of the vehicle to provide a smoother ride exacerbates the potential for a blowout in a very short period of time. Underinflation is one of the highest causes of tire failure. Age is a major culprit that deceives many because the tread looks good.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 12:56:02 PM »
We have been driving RV's for 30+ years and have avoided a blow out I have always rotated new tire to the front and move them aft at 6 years and no tires over 7 on our rigs. We have a new Entegra with no steer safe but we do use the "Tyron" system on the fronts hear is a link you should look at. www.tyron-usa.com/ the Tyron system keeps the tire on the wheels during a blown out allowing time to safely stop.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bob Bulot

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 03:57:08 PM »
Although 7 years seems to be the standard when you poll RV’rs, it is interesting to note that Michelin has a service bulletin out that recommends changing its tires due to age at 10 years.  I also agree that 5 years is way too early to replace these expensive tires.

I have also noticed that more and more RVrs are changing to other brands like Toyo, Yokohama and Hankook, because of the cost, and are reporting excellent service.  Most of these are 60%, or so, the price of the Michelins.

I continue to recommend Pete’s Tires in a  couple of locations in Southern CA. They are the “go to” dealer in our area for the FMCA Michelin promotional program. 

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 05:32:55 PM »
Jerry,
The "Tyron" system worked during our blowout as it kept the tread on the rim. However, our RF tire experienced a explosion of the sidewall and the instant drag caused by 6900 lbs on a rim at 65 mph made the coach pretty much uncontrollable (no Safety Steer installed then). We were into the guard rail in a few seconds. That said, the Tyron did prevent the tread from doing any damage to the items forward and aft of the wheel such as the air bags and flaps, which can be a fairly common problem during blow-outs.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 06:19:14 PM »
Below is a link to a Michelin Bulletin I read before purchasing my first coach. I find that the information listed below from the professionals is a decent rule-of-thumb to follow.

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bcontent/PDF/TB_Service_Life_RV_Tires.pdf
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:20:51 PM by Mike Tomas »
-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 11:09:20 PM »
I think, Bob, that Michelin meant no tire should ever be older than 10, not that that’s their recommended changeout.  I’ve noted in the past here that at 5 years many mfrs. want you to have the tires inspected thereafter annually, which is a good idea even after 1.  Les Schwab sends me email reminders every year since 2015 for a courtesy inspection of their Toyos. 

From the Michelin document Mike linked to in this thread, “It is impossible to predict when tires should be replaced based on their calendar age alone”.  An annual checkup can find other issues unrelated to age, issues that can have consequences for a large coach potentially worse than for a car.

Joel

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 11:11:04 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Doug Allman

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 08:38:07 PM »
Somehow after 48 years in a Class C (24) and Beaver Class A RV (24) it doesn't really concern me what the manufacturers indicate you might be able to do. It comes down to how much is your personal safety along with anyone with you is worth. There are few, if any things, like a blown tire that will put you in the grass before you can even react to it. There is no traction but a lot of action when going thru the grass, hopefully with the wheels earth side down.

Many have witnessed blow outs and realize there is a best time to get the safety edge back on their side. Tires are not the best item to have longevity with on your coach.
The following users thanked this post: Jim Nichols

Bob Bulot

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 03:34:01 PM »
I think, Bob, that Michelin meant no tire should ever be older than 10, not that that’s their recommended changeout.
Joel

I agree Joel.  Michelin is clearly not saying that Michelin owners should wait until 10 years before changing tires.  If I left that impression, I apologize. 

Michelin is saying that 10 years should not be exceeded under any circumstances.  But, by inference then, they are also saying that 9 yrs 8 months may be an acceptable age if the tires are otherwise in good condition.

William Jordan

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 06:03:34 PM »
I haven't read the document in awhile but Michelin from memory says to inspect the outside regularly years 1-6 7? but after, fully inspect the tire. This does NOT mean a cursory drive by look by a tire guy. It means a dismount and inspection of the interior of the tire and then Remount and Bal annually.  Then Replacement at 10 years
  I think most just replace at 6-7. Cynical Me  Actually thinks from looking at used coaches, I'd say" most "haven't a clue and look only at tread. Which will last 150,000 miles!    ;)