Author Topic: Cruise/Vorad Problem  (Read 4741 times)

Bob Bulot

Cruise/Vorad Problem
« on: June 16, 2018, 04:18:48 PM »
On the road again for the summer, and (knock on Polyurethane) all the stuff you posters helped me with this winter are working great.

Newest problem is with the cruise control.  When I first start the engine and hit the road, the cruise and Vorad work fine. If I cancel the cruise by stepping on the brake, the cruise cancels, but cannot be restarted, unless I pullover, shut off the key, and restart it.  When it cancels, and I try to reset it, I sometimes get a Check Engine light that flickers for a second or two.  This problem is intermittent.  Sometimes happens, sometimes doesn’t. Any ideas?

Delsmith

Re: Cruise/Vorad Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 12:49:15 AM »
Kind of an old post but I will give it a try. I have had this problem a couple of times. All I did was stop the coach and turn off the ket. When I restarted it all worked fine.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 01:18:24 AM »
Bob,
Hitting the cruise control on/off a number of times in succession will cause the Check Engine light to come on. Are you sure the cruise isn't activating, even though the indicator says it's off? It sometimes takes 5 to 15 seconds for the indicator (Alladin and probably Silver Leaf) to indicate the cruise is engaged, even though it is actually working. This was/is the case on my 00 Marquis and 07 Contessa.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 04:51:00 AM »
Bob,
You may already be doing this, but instead of turning the cruise control on, just hit resume or if you want to change speed from what you previously had, hit set.  On my 99 I made the mistake of hitting the on switch and had problems like you are having.  Just hitting the brake, only puts the cruise into an on  position and allows you to control the speed.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 05:04:20 AM »
Bob
         I may be late to reply, but I had similar issues and a lot of trouble shooting. First off, if you have Vorad problems you can separate the vorad from the cruise by depressing the cruise on/off 4 times and your cruise should work independent of your vorad. Our Vorad was acting up contributing to our issues. I finally found a faulty pin and wire that connected to the control module and fixed it by sliding a Sewing needle into the affected pin and no problem since. The cruise had a relay in the electric bay that was faulty and once replaced, end of cruise problems. This relay was not factory installed, and fortunately was found by a good tech at Beaver Coach Sales.
          Hope this information may help.
        Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 03:21:03 AM »
Am having problem with cruise/vorad system. After starting coach, cruise/vorad light in center of dash goes to fault and will not operate either function. If I shut off ignition and restart coach, it sometimes resets. Problem is intermittent. Also, where is the location of the vorad control module? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 02:57:09 PM »
Frank
         I had the same problem and it took a year and half to trace the problem. See my comments just prior to your post. My controller is located in the drivers side panel. Faulty wire at the wiring harness plug to controller. This problem would affect the cruise. Once i fixed the VORAD things were just fine, but cruise control problem returned and found a relay in the electrical bay was the culprit affecting the cruise. Relay was replaced two years ago, smooth sailing ever since.
         The way I found the vorad problem, I just started moving the individual wires at the controller connector and watched for an affect on the vorad display. Need ignition on of coarse.
Good Luck
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15
The following users thanked this post: Frank Bergamo

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 10:21:16 PM »
Larry,
Still troubleshooting cruise/vorad problem. Tried all your suggestions and still no joy. Wondering if you had any fault codes, and if so, what were they, or just fault light lit when you found loose wire? Any more thoughts/ideas? Thanks.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 11:37:19 PM »
Frank
        We did get a fault due to too close proximity to an object or vehicle while cruise was engaged and braking was insufficient or something like that. We didn't have a breathtaking near miss, but if sufficient action is not taken the vorad can give you a fault light.
I don't remember any code. Its been some time ago that we had this problem and my memory of the variables is diminished a bit. I will see if my wife has better recollection.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 12:05:31 AM »
Frank
       I would also, while traveling or on initial start up, depress the cruise on/off switch 4 times and this will break the link between the vorad and cruise, as previously suggested. Your cruise should then work normal but without distance separation of a slower vehicle in front of you due to no vorad input to the cruise. If your cruise gives you problems in this mode, I would look for an added relay in your electrical bay that may have been installed to affect smart wheel annunciator illumination. That was the explanation to me why some people have this relay installed and it will soften the annunciator lighting controls on the smart wheel. This relay was faulty and affected the cruise on our Beaver. Beaver Coach Sales tech traced my problem to this relay. I knew the relay was in my electrical bay but had no idea what it was for. Cruise has not been a problem since.
     Regarding the VORAD, I used the term "fault" but my wife looked in our manual for the vorad and it will give a "fail" indication. Do you have a VORAD manual? If not we can send you the manual. Ours was obtained from Eaton for the VORAD. Their technical was of some help in explaining its operation. The tech we talked to at Eaton was Richard Youngblood 269-342-3058.
     Of coarse, in my earlier post, I found the loose wire at the connector and just slipped a sewing needle down the pin and all was well.
     Let me know if you want the manual, if so give me a call 386-562-7044. Also keep in mind Beaver Coach Sales also installs VORAD systems and would be a good facility to help you out.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 05:31:27 AM »
Hi I had a similar problem in my 05 Monterey. In the front run box, I had a wiring harness that ran by the generator bracket switch. The bracket was metal with a bur that cut through the insulation on the smart wheel cruse control. The metal bracket was also an electrical ground. It cut thru the insulation on a few other wires as well causing various intermittent problems. One of the wires was the cruse cancel signal causing the cruse to randomly cancel. Something like this may be occurring.

Again just a thought. 
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee