Author Topic: Does anyone recognize this Air Valve? Located on air tank  (Read 5600 times)

Mike Shumack

Re: Does anyone recognize this Air Valve? Located on air tank
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 03:13:58 PM »
I am just amazed at the pictures you post here, Mike. Not just this group but others. How the heck do you get to this stuff? Just amazing!

Just crawling around under the coach with my Cell phone camera. Sticking the camera in places I can't get my head into.

I try to photo everything, then I come out, and upload photos to my computer, where I can comfortably figure out what the photo is (what component I'm looking at) and then label the photo for future use. For every ten photos I take, one may be usable.

Example: yesterday was the first time I saw (and took photo) of the "Tag Axle Dump/Lift air-solenoid" (in the photo above with the leak). Before that, I did not know the location of this item (or what it looked like).
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Mike Shumack

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 03:19:07 PM »
Mike, I assume you have the same HWH leveling system as my 06 PT, the solenoids have two O rings that seal them to the manifold, one inner and a outer, I've found a few of mine leaking but most are just fuzzer leaks. The O rings are easy to change out, just remove the electric solenoid form the valve and unscrew the unit. The O rings are not standard type they are really skinny and you can get them at most Ace or True valve hardware stores. Once I found the size I ordered buna N pieces.

If you have Nason pressure switches they are probably leaking. They can be taken apart and cleaned and re-assembled, they leak form the inner diaphragm, tighten up with a 1/2" socket. Mine are set to 20 psi open, they are normally closed. Apply 20 psi+ air pressure to the valve then screw in the solenoid until the switch opens.
The air switches is where I've found most of my air leaks along with a few of the push to connect fittings. Right now I am replacing both front right side air bags that were leaking.

Yes Lee, I have the HWH air leveling.
I rebuilt the two back HWH 6-packs (Drive axle and Tag axle) last year. I did check them again for leaks this week, and don't see anything leaking. I also checked the front HWH 6-pack and it looks good too.
I'll check the Nason switches again. I haven't checked the one on the treadle valve (for cruise control I think) - or anything else up front yet. I believe there is also a Nason switch on the HWH electric air compressor (mounted in front on my coach).

Mike Shumack

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2019, 04:37:09 PM »
Found another air leak (the last I think).
Unfortunately it's one of the locations that you can see but can't reach. I'm not sure its worth fixing right now.
It's a line going into the thread valve (foot brake valve).

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2019, 08:19:02 PM »
That fitting looks like one of the swivel fitting they used, I had a couple of mine leaking, replaced them with real air brake fittings. Those Nason switches sometimes it was hard to see the bubbles because it would just blow the solution off. I made a custom 1" socket to get them in & out of the manifold.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley