Author Topic: How to add tension to Slide Out canopy  (Read 3597 times)

Mike Shumack

How to add tension to Slide Out canopy
« on: June 18, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »
I was up washing/cleaning the roof this weekend, and I noticed the awning that covers the drivers side front slide out is sagging. There was water puddling on it.

I did not see a manufacturer's name/logo on the awning.

Do you know who made this awning - so I can look for an Owners manual? The Beaver Manual explains the importance of the awning but provides no other useful info.

Is there a way to add some tension so it stays taut?

Thanks.

Mike Shumack

Re: How to add tension to Slide Out canopy
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 03:07:15 PM »
After researching this more - I found that Girard makes two models of "Slide Out Awnings"(the G5000 and the Ultra). If either of those are what I have, I can make tensioning adjustments.
The following users thanked this post: John Shannon

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 03:15:32 PM »
I believe when I had all three topper awnings replaced, the shop ordered them from Carefree of Colorado.  I know the two topper awnings on the street side of our coach are Carefree's.  I would suggest the only way to increase tension in the topper awning is to tighten the tension spring.  That would be a two or more person operation.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,297.15.html

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,361.msg4127.html#msg4127
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:20:59 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 03:32:03 PM »
I don't remember the name of the model.  A lot of Beavers in the '04 and '05 years used a Carefree of Colorado topper that was installed so it was level with zero slope when extended.  They could be further extended by pulling on a strap so that they would shade the windows. 

If that is your model, you add tension by winding the arm on one end.  The procedure is risky to fingers, wrists and arms. 

No matter what you do, it remains flat and puddles are normal.  If you don't like puddles or puddles that turn into blocks of ice, there is an extreme solution!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 03:55:09 PM »
Mike,
The Girard awnings were an upgrade but the slide toppers are probably Carefree of Colorado. You may be able to tighten the spring if the awning sags across the complete width. There may be a utube video on it but I couldn't locate one. If the awning sags on the ends but not in the middle, the only way to correct it is to replace the topper. Not a bad job but needs 2 people. (Once you've done it you can do it yourself if you have a way of supporting one end of the extended awning). A number of companies make replacements.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 04:11:52 PM »
Mike,
I just replaced all of my slide topper awnings. I'm guessing yours are just like mine, being a 2005.

They are made by Carefree of Colorado.

I have two models..

Omgega II (which is the one that has brackets that look like question marks) and has a pull strap to extend them to provide shade for the window.
They look like picture 1

SOKII These are the others.
They look like picture 2

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 05:37:27 PM »
I have the ones with the "question mark" shaped arms on the drivers side and passenger side bedroom slide outs - but I thought that was a separate awning - in addition to that little awning that covers the top of the slideout. I guess I need to get out there and take a closer look.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 05:41:07 PM »
Mike,
I own the same model and your slide toppers are Carefree of Colorado.  I do not know a method of adjusting the tension, but you might contact Carefree of Colorado and they might be helpful.  I got so fed up with those awnings, I purchased Girard awnings.  I did learn one thing though and that was to extend the awning prior to closing to let the water drain off prior to bringing my slide in so water wouldn't flood down the sides and make the sides of the slide-outs all wet and getting water inside the coach.  Good luck with Carefree.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 05:44:36 PM »
Thanks Roy. Good idea.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 11:30:06 PM »
They stretch over time, and annoyingly flap in wind all night unless I get up and bring in at least the windward slides.  As I understand it from complaining years ago at BCS the tension isn’t adjustable, or at least not easily. 

My thoughts have been that you’d need to remove the fabric and have the upper seam resewn a half inch or more shorter.  Hopefully the fabric had already stretched to its max.  Often these awnings need their original Careless thread replaced with tougher more rot-resistant stuff anyway.  And some here have rebuilt theirs with center drains to resist water pileup and consequent stretch or slide out leaks.  Ice and snow don’t drain, and can stretch the material worse than rain.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 12:06:38 AM »
Mike,
There are videos on replacing the awnings in the Video Post inthe Coach Assist section.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 12:52:02 AM »
Those awnings look like the Omega II's.  You can tighten them.  I had a mobile guy fix the awning last year.  It extended while underway in 40 Kt winds last year.  It pulled the track off the side of the MH.  He fixed the track and took the cover off and wound the spring to set the tension.  So I know it can be done to some extent.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 03:58:19 AM »
Mike,
In addition to the videos in Coach Assist, you might want to look at these.

Some good information, and tips.

http://www.toughtopawnings.com/how-to-replace-rv-awning-fabric.html

http://www.toughtopawnings.com/how-to-replace-rv-awning-fabric.html

These are two separate videos, one for the SOK and one for the Omega II.

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad