Author Topic: Fuel mileage  (Read 5520 times)

Gary Merrifield

Fuel mileage
« on: July 02, 2018, 05:10:10 AM »
What kind of fuel mileage are you getting with your 525 Cat.
My first trip was around 4 MPG

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Fuel mileage
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 07:37:55 AM »
Gary,
Your mileage  on a Cat 525 hp is between 4 and 6 1/2 mpg. This information is based ECM history. This ECM information also will tell you what engine RPM gives you the best mileage. There are lot of factors that can cause differences in fuel mileage between different Cat 525 engines. You can have a Cat Dealer provide this information (if they have time open). If you cannot get Caterpillar to do this, I have Cat ET where I can provide this service for you.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanicd
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:12:31 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:50:07 AM »
Looking forward to having Dave run his check up on our C13.  The one you did on our C12 was very helpful and I made a few changes since.
I use the 'Mode' function when on flat open highway and can get over 8mpg on the rolling mileage but not for long.
Hope this helps  a little.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 03:22:32 PM »
Our '04 had a Cummins.  "Normal" for me was 62 to 65 mph. 

After reading Cat's "Understanding Coach/RV Performance" book I tried slowing down to 55 and setting the cruise control.  It put the transmission in 5th, but the horsepower required to push it dropped and the fuel used went up a couple mpg.  The cruise control provides consistency. 

The downside of course is that it takes a little longer to get there.  An upside is that you get to enjoy the scenery a little more and there is less road noise. 

I still have the Cat book in .pdf if it is not in the library.  Here is a link to it on DropBox:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/61wbxh4krotxt6b/cat%20performance%20book.pdf?dl=0 

(For the record, if there is traffic, I drive with the flow.  Slow RVs are a pain in the neck!)
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 03:49:29 PM »
There's an old saying " if you have to ask - you can't afford it".  ;)

But seriously, I get 5.5 mpg (my driving and PO's driving from coach's trip log). I like to drive the speed of other traffic on the Interstate (so that's 70+). This next trip I'm going to try to keep my speed under 65 and see how much difference that makes.

CAT has a fuel mileage publication for RVs. I don't have it handy to attach here, but it explains the factors that affect fuel mileage (engine rpm/load, fan load, weight, speed, wind/terrain, etc.).

If you have not seen this yet, Google for it. It has some interesting facts and info. OOPS - that publication is in the link above.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 04:09:24 PM »
Not the C12 or C13, but our C9 has averaged 7.1 for 35,000 miles. Four trips over the Rockies and back, lots of Midwest flat land, and the small mountains of the New England states, plus out-state New York. The cruise at 63 works good for us.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gary Merrifield

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 07:27:24 PM »
It was our first trip and the fuel was 6 years old so I was just curious. Thanks and I will read the Cat publication.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 08:19:08 PM »
  Sense buying our coach last September we have driven it over 5000 miles and we have averaged 8.5 MPG according to Silverleaf VMS. It is a C12 455 HP CAT pulling our Mazda III.  The motor has about 65,000 miles on it and we are very happy with our coach. I usually drive about 65 mph on flat highways and often speed up over 70 going downhill and trying to maintain 65 going up steep grades. Slowing down will help but I would also recommend talking to a cat dealer to see what might be done to increase your MPG.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 09:20:24 PM »
General observations (& MHO);
A C12 (425) is probably the most efficient CAT engine in our coaches. Driven conservatively it will hit 8-8.5 mpg. The low RPM the engine runs at is also a big help.
The C9 (400 HP) will hit around 7-7.5 mpg. Adding an electric CAT fuel pump may help add a bit (but probably won't pay for itself in normal RV usage).
3126 / C7s will also be in the same range as the C9 unless they are pushing a heavy coach.
The C13-C15 reports I've seen indicate ~5.5 is about the average.

The CAT "Understanding RV Performance" document is in our technical library and should be required reading for anyone trying to increase fuel mileage.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 09:55:17 PM »
I wouldn’t go by just my first trip unless it was extensive and covered all environs. 

Our experience is similar to Stan’s.  We hit around 10 on one 600 mile trip (Portland to Twin Falls), but that was with a following wind most of the way, my cruise control on, and above 57mph to keep it in 6th but below 62 for fuel miserliness.  Our short coach is relatively light for the engine it has, so that makes hills probably less work. 

At times I lean toward obeying posted speeds for trucks, not for the law’s sake but for a general conservation guideline, and not having to pass so many (not that truckers obey it though).  On hills it’s nice that as needed the 400 hp can push 36ft easily around bogged down semi’s.  Around places like Boise, it’s hard to avoid higher speeds to keep from being an impediment, but at least it’s in 6th.

So as Dave and others suggest, numerous factors and practices affect mileage.  Give yourself some time to fine tune and implement habits noted above, Gary, and have CAT certified techs make sure your drive train is optimized.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gary Merrifield

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 12:44:42 AM »
The motorhome only has 17,000 miles on it so it is just starting to get broken in

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 01:06:50 AM »
HI Stan, I see in your post that you get 7.1 mpg on your coach. How do you measure it? I get about that when I measure fuel in and distance. Aladdin indicates 6.4mpg !?!

Just wondering Thanks
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 01:11:18 AM »
Gary, it will take 100,000 miles to break in your Caterpillar engine and all your PM maintenance is based around that mileage. One thing I would suggest is to use all caterpillar oil and fuel filters.
The fuel filter is very important not to go price shopping to save few dollars, reasonings for this
your Caterpillar engine has fail safe guard in place with engine ECM and is based off Caterpillar
2 micron fuel filter 1R-0749. Using anything other than Caterpillar filter would remove the fuel
system safe mode. To each there own on how you maintain your engine but you have a proven
engine that will go well over million miles with very few problems. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Gary Merrifield

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 02:50:52 AM »
Yes I will stick with Cat filters I am a firm believer in that.