Author Topic: awing open by itself  (Read 3824 times)

George Frudakis

awing open by itself
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:27:15 PM »
Wt causes the big awing to just open by itself. Its happen several times, thank god it was at the shop having 2 new ac units installed when it happen.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: awing open by itself
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 07:51:25 AM »
Consider a lock similar to what’s discussed in the thread below;  if your Marquis has a Girard rather than a Carefree Eclipse, there are probably devices available.
http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,4981.msg46138.html#msg46138

It’s been some time since contacting the fellow manufacturing these, and his website hasn’t updated for years, so his health may have compromised his production since. 

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 10:02:55 PM »
I seem to remember that early Girard awnings would sometimes open on their own.  Problem was the awning motor.  An engineering fix was made, and Girard replaced our motor in 2000 (1998 Marquis) at no cost.  Has never opened on its own since.

George Frudakis

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »
Fixed the problem. It was the battery in the remote need replacing. It seems the low voltage from an old battery sent mid signal to the motor.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Larry Fritz

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 03:43:35 AM »
WOW....First time I have heard of this.  I am an electronics guy. I have had my 98 for 18 years. One of the first time things I did to my awning wiring was to install a "master killl awning switch" which shuts off all power to the awning motor.  Now I am thinking that was a very smart thing to do.  I usually travel with it OFF and turn it on when I am parked only.  Should you ever choose to do this, just remember that if you are parked and that switch is OFF your  awning will not automatically retact if the wind comes up.   Since I have to turn my switch ON to get it to go out or in the first place, I leave it in the ON position when parked so this has never been an issue for me.

Larry
Larry Fritz

George Frudakis

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 01:10:04 PM »
Great idea I am going to do the same just to make sure I do not have this problem again. any instruction you have would appreciated.

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 12:14:19 AM »
George:  My install was as easy as it gets. I removed the wood cabinet panel above the passenger seat which is where all of my  wiring is for the Awning. I took a on/off toggle switch and inserted it in series with the motor hot lead. Drilled a hole in the wood panel and mounted the switch. Just be sure your switch will handle the amps required for the motor.

Larry
Larry Fritz

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 02:15:16 AM »
On our 06 PT the Girard awning was doing that found a bad solder joint in the circuit board, because the motor is 120 Volt you can just turn off the breaker

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 03:42:23 AM »
Maybe it bears repeating, even though the motor/circuitry may be an issue, the failsafe stop is an exterior mechanical locking device.  For when the problem is not a motor or circuit, (or even when it is) but rather a bump-sensitive drive engagement, the lock ensures the unit stays put on the road.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat