Author Topic: Replacing Indirect Lighting under ceiling accent wood panel - 05 Patriot  (Read 23533 times)

Mike Shumack

I need to replace the accent lighting in my Living room ceiling panel.I read a couple of threads on this but did not see the answer to my specific questions.

I have a 2005 Patriot. I believe this panel does not swing down like the 06 and above models. The panel looks to be very heavy. I plan to buy a "drywall lift" to hold the panel and lower/raise it. The drywall lift can handle 150 lbs.

1) Any idea how much the ceiling panel weighs? I assume under 150 lbs if two people can manually handle it.

2) While the panel is down, can it be updated to "swing down setup" used in newer model Beavers. I believe this was referred to as J-hook (hinges) in another thread.

3) Does anyone have photos or a drawing of how this swing down hinge system looks/works?

4) What is the candlepower or lumens that the factory installed lights put out? I don't want to buy a light strip that is too bright.

I am lookign at this LED kit https://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips/led-flex-strip-kit-rgb-with-remote-control the color changing feature migth be nice.
It says it is 27 Watts. What does that translate to in lumens or candela (is that equivalent to the factory light output)?

Pat Long

Mike,     I would start by calling Beaver Caoch Sales at (541) 322-2184 and talk to Matt or Mike in parts for the correct lighting element and then talk to the service dept for the instructions on how to remove the ceiling panel.   They are very good at helping owners repairing their coaches with parts and procedures

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Mike this looks just like the panel we had in our 06 that did swing down I did have a lighting issue but was able to fix it with a repair. It was heavy 75-100LBS A one man job with swing down unit. the lighting on the 06 was a rope light and the panel had a pin to remove.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Mike Shumack

When I first bought my 05, the ceiling panel felt a little loose and I was able to locate and tighten some 5/16" hex bolts/screws around the perimeter (I think there were four screws on each side). I'm pretty sure there is no hinge setup on mine. But before I try to lower it, I'm going to set a drywall lift under it - then remove the bolts and let it down slowly.

I can call BCS, but I don't want to replace the lights with the same thing.
I might as well upgrade to LED lights (i'm not sure what the originals are, but I've read they are not LED) - and if I'm going to upgrade, I might as well upgrade further to color changing, dimmable LED lights. I cost is insignificant. It's the labor/effort to drop the ceiling panel that is the hard part I think.

I contacted the company were I bought my entry step LED light strips. LEDsupply.com They think this would be a good setup for my coach.

https://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips/non-waterproof-12v-led-strips  - the "RGB" color changing ones, and this https://www.ledsupply.com/led-drivers/rgb-rf-dimmer-remote-control

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Mike,
There are 6 "J" hooks on your ceiling panels.  Each set is held secure by either allen screws for hex bolts.  It takes 2 people to lift it down once the allen screws are loosened.  In order to change the intake air filter, you must take this down.  Also, the indirect lighting is up here.  I had a panel made of walnut, like my cabinets, made.  It is hinged on one side and has a locking mechanism on the other side, similar to the metal one by your refrigerator.  It is much more difficult to put back up because it is hard to get the "J" hooks aligned.  Same thing in the  bedroom.

Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Mike Shumack

Roy, when I remove the hex bolts (mine are 5/16" head) does the panel fall down at that point - or do the "J" hooks hold it?

When "J hooks" are mentioned I imagine a setup where the hooks still hold the panel (after hex bolts are removed) and then the panel still needs to be slid front or back a little to get off the "J". Is that the way it works?

Since I'm by myself, I was thinking of buying/using a "drywall lift" to hold panel - or take this job to a shop ( i think buying the lift will still be cheaper than paying someone else to do this). Something like this:

Doug Allman

Mike, a lot of rental equipment stores have a drywall lift for rent if you are going to have a one time use (hopefully).

Mike Shumack

I have ordered the "LED light strip" (color changing and dimmable. Why not?) and the "voltage regulator" recommended.  This https://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips/non-waterproof-12v-led-strips and this https://www.ledsupply.com/led-drivers/rgb-rf-dimmer-remote-control

I will rent the lift for half a day - so I want to be sure to have everything ready first.

Is there a "replaceable" filter element under that ceiling panel?

Something I should order ahead of time? If so, what is the part number and/or size I need?
Or is it just a cleanable filter like that green hogs hair filter stuff you see in some home AC units?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
The “filter” in ours is just simple dark gray, highly porous foam/mesh, easily washed with Dawn or Simple Green.  It’s not likely to keep dust or anything smaller than a housefly out.  With age they can begin to disintegrate and need replacement.  Last I looked they were not hard to find.

But not having a ceiling decor like yours, I can’t say for sure what configuration you may find.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Shumack

Re: Replacing Indirect Lighting under ceiling accent wood panel - 05 Patriot
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 03:46:26 PM »
I completed this project and wanted to add a photo of how the ceiling is mounted in case anyone else wants to do this.

The ceiling is held up by six "J-Brackets". There is a screw (mine where 3/16 hex-head metal screws) going horizontally through each bracket (not to hold up the ceiling but to keep it from sliding forward/back).
I used a drywall lift to support the ceiling, then removed the 6 screws. Then I lowered it a 1/2 inch or so and was able to slide the entire ceiling toward the front of coach 5 or 6 inches so the J-brackets cleared each other. That allowed me to then lower the ceiling enough to work on the lights.

The following users thanked this post: Dwight Wilson

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 05:16:43 PM »
Mike, Thanks for the follow-up and great photo. Same J brackets in my '05. Both panels got quite a workout when I had to replace both ACs a couple of years ago. Had Elite RV in Harrisburg Or do the work so I wouldn't have to.
Question: Did you find a foam or other filter in the AC return? Wonder if a new AC comes with a new filter (not likely, knowing Dometic).
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 05:26:21 PM »
The paper filter shown in the photo is the only one I noticed (that's the 16x16x1). That is the air return.

I did not (think to) look up inside the air "outlet" ducts, but the Dometic AC installation manual does not show any filters on the "outlet" side of the roof units.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 10:34:47 PM »
Bill,
The filter is a "3M Filtrete", Merv 11, 16" x 16" x 1". That is the one that came out and same one (from Lowes) that when back in. I'm not sure if it is the original brand or not.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 01:51:48 PM »
Mine was a foam filter used in wall window AC units.  Had to then cut it to correct size.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 02:38:25 PM »
Okay - will post some tonight.  ;D

Here are a couple - this LED strip has a RF remote that changes to 6 colors and is dimmable. It also has a party/strobe mode - which wife and I can not stand for more than 5 seconds.

The ceiling panel looks crooked in the photos, but it is sitting straight and level.
I must have been holding the camera-phone at an angle.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:14:43 PM by Mike Shumack »