Author Topic: Electronics in Canada  (Read 5245 times)

Bob Bulot

Electronics in Canada
« on: June 22, 2018, 07:26:51 PM »
Just some observations on electronics from our first visit to Canada.

We are staying at the Edgewater Hilltop Rv Park located within a 9 hole golf course about 10 K north of Radium Springs, BC. 7 full hookup sites with 30 amps. Great place.  (See  www.edgewaterhilltopgolf.com)

Before leaving SoCal, I received lots of advice about the availability and expense of using cellphones, and access to satellite and Sirius services up here - some good, some not so much.  Here’s some of what we’ve found:

Verizon:  When we went to the website, we learned that there is a cost to using Verizon in Canada. They promoted a plan in which we would pay $5.95 per day for any day we used the phone.  This plan gave us access to most of the features in our US plan while in Canada.  Declining this plan, we would pay $.95 per minute to make calls. 

We declined the $5.95 plan, but soon after our arrival, I received a text from Verizon, once again offering the $5.95 plan. Once again, we declined to take the plan, but despite this, the next day, I had an email from Verizon thanking us for accepting the plan.  It required a 10 minute phone call to Verizon C/S to get the plan turned off and a $5.95 charge removed from the bill.

T Mobile. First, we found that, unlike Verizon, T Mobile includes Canada and Mexico to its service area at no cost.  We use a T Mobile 4G LTE mifi device only for internet service.  We were surprised to find that we had a good signal here in Canada.  We have an “unlimited” data plan. 

We also like T Mobile’s “BingeOn” feature, that doesn’t charge our account for data used for streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime and several other streaming services. 

Turns out that the T Mobile “Unlimited” data plan includes 6 GB of high speed data each month to use for streaming video not included in the BingeOn program. 

Unfortunately, also turns out that the BingeOn feature doesn’t work in Canada.  With Netflix now burning up the 6GB allotment, we blew through it in short order.  Once the 6GB was gone, the LTE turned into super-slow 2G until the end of the billing period.  Fortunately, the Edgewater RV park has excellent wi-fi.

The next bit of good news is that Dish satellite works great here.  the dish is pointing pretty low in the sky now, so not sure how much farther north it will work.

Finally, glad to learn that Sirius/XM works fine here.  My neighbor here lives way north of Edmonton, and says it works fine at home.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
Re: Electronics in Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 08:30:50 PM »
Bob, we travel to Canada yearly and use the Verizon unlimited plan which added $ 10 dollars a month to our plan and gave us unlimited talk ,text and data in north America. We then can also use the phone hot spot for the computer for all applications.I am surprised Verizon did not mention this option. Glad you found something that worked for you.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

jeffprupis

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 12:19:12 AM »
We're in Canada for 6 months. ATT works fine for us.Our plan covers Canada and we seem to be on Rogers most of the time. DTV has worked for us as far North as Edmonton.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 01:01:20 AM »
Bob, we traveled to Alaska and back last summer and had the same experience as you did.  We started out with at least one phone from all 3 carriers and one mifi device from each carrier.  Verizon coverage was not good and they wanted extra money so we did not use it.  T Mobil coverage was OK in Canada but our binge on did not work either.  Our ATT also on Rogers all the time, it seemed, worked great with unlimited data.  We use upwards of 500gb a month when on the road.  As soon as we got back to the States we cancelled all our non ATT devices.  Been happy with ATT since.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bob Bulot

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »
Bob, we travel to Canada yearly and use the Verizon unlimited plan which added $ 10 dollars a month to our plan and gave us unlimited talk ,text and data in north America 

Thanks, Bryan. Maybe I missed it navigating around their often confusing website, but, going back over it, I can find no reference, anywhere on the Verizon website to a plan that adds $10 per month to an existing domestic plan for unlimited talk, data and text while in Canada.

Perhaps this plan is only offered to those grandfathered under the old domestic unlimited plans, or they no longer offer it.

Keith Cooper

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 04:39:26 PM »
While in Canada  Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile use essentially the same roaming partners. The roaming partner your cellular device automatically connects is determined by two factors. First the LTE bands your cellular device. Second signal strength of the LTE bands provided by the roaming partners. Normally, when we arrive at a campground we will manually select the available roaming partners to identify the highest thruput speeds rather than strongest signal.
To maximize connectivity we use a mifi devicewhich supports most LTE bands (ipad air2 or iphone 6 or later.
For the most part service is provided by 3 providers in Canada:
Bell Mobility on LTE bands:
2 (1900)
4 (1700 )
5 (850)
7 (2600)
12 (700 a)
13 (700 c)
17 (700 b)
29 (700 de)
Rogers Wireless on LTE bands:
4 (1700 )
7 (2600)
12 (700 a)
17 (700 bc)
 38 (2600)
Telus Mobility on LTE bands:
2 (1900)
4 (1700 )
7 (2600)
12 (700 a)
13 (700 c)
17 (700 bc)
29 (700 d)
40 (2300)
42 (3500)

As far as sat tv dish worked everywhere except Northern Newfoundland

Bob Bulot

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 08:44:02 PM »
Good info, Kieth.

rick Kirchner

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 11:18:07 PM »
The dish and direcT satellite antennas are designed to deliver an acceptable signal to about 90 miles north of the US border.  That's where the majority of the Canadian population lives.  Beyond that you will probably need a larger dish, such as used in high rainfall areas.  that will extend the range a bit more. 

Bob Bulot

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 04:56:03 PM »
Thanks to all for some great info.  A couple of more points on the Binge On feature:

First, I learned over the summer that Binge On only works on smart phones, and ipads, etc.  If you connect your smart tv to your T-Mobile MiFi, you will be charged for the data used.

I've even found that if I use my ipad, and then use my mirroring feature on my Apple TV to display the picture on my TV, somehow T-Mobile sees this and charges my data balance the same as if I'd used my TV directly.

Second, when you start Netflix on an authorized device, you are charged for the data used right up to the point you actually start watching a movie.  All that searching around beforehand gets charged to data.

jeffprupis

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 03:08:28 PM »
6 mos in Canada. Prince Rupert to Newfoundland ATT Unlimited Plus worked 90% of the time 300gb per month. DTV worked until Gaspe Pinn. Directv Now allowed us to watch TV anywhere we had internet. Wish there was an easy way to get CBC.