Author Topic: A/C Trouble Shooting  (Read 1525 times)

Steven J Fuller

A/C Trouble Shooting
« on: July 01, 2018, 11:58:37 PM »
2007 Beaver Contessa , 41' with C-9 Cat motor.
 Front and rear A/C units will not run. I have checked for power to each unit and both are running at 117 vac., both thermostats show no signs of working.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: A/C Trouble Shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 01:30:06 AM »
First and most obvious, did you tap the “Mode” button and set your thermostats to AC mode?  (Assuming they are DuoTherm).  When you say both thermostats aren’t working, is that completely or just the cooling function?  If completely, i.e. they won’t even turn on, then check the thermostat/satellite/awning/tv boost fuse that on your coach may be in the bathroom breaker box cabinet with the multiplex modules.  On my rig it’s behind the 4”X4” black cover that must be pried off, and it’s fuse #8.

If the compressors are gone due to insufficient available voltage, unfortunately you are better off buying entire new AC’s than trying to replace compressors.  The problem with new AC’s is the latest models may not play well with your current thermostat arrangement. 

Trying to run an AC on 15-20 amps with a long cord that drops voltage is a common cause of failure... at startup, a compressor motor draws a ton of amps, and will burn up trying if it can’t easily get them.  Been there done that.  Try to use one unit only when plugged into 30 amps or use your generator.

If you’re luckier, it is just the start capacitor on each unit;  it may have gone out before the compressor had a chance to get damaged.  Take the coach to a reputable facility that will check and fix the capacitor if it’s failed rather than sell you a new unit you may not need.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:49:11 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 04:02:43 AM »
Steven, check the telephone type connector from inside the AC for corrosion. Then check the 5 amp fuse in a control box inside your AC on your roof as this fuse powers your themostats. The box is on the right hand side as you face the front of your coach and is covered by a plate with 2 sheet metal screws.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Steven J Fuller

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 01:47:14 AM »
Thank you Joel and Bryan!!! I will check this out over the week end. Steve

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 04:19:50 AM »
Shouldn't be too disimilar.  Look for the box like the one I've marked "Fuses Inside".

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat