Author Topic: Oil leak '05 Monterey  (Read 2328 times)

Dale Walker

Oil leak '05 Monterey
« on: July 12, 2018, 02:06:06 AM »
Good evening, Gentlemen/Ladies. I have an oil leak between the where the hydraulic pump and is bolted to the transmission. It's only a drip, doesn't show on the oil stick, so it's just a drip. I have been under it and looked but it looks a little foreboding. My question is, has anyone else had to deal with this problem, what was the problem, a gasket between the pump and transmission, or a seal on the pump shaft?

Thanks in advance.

Dale

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Oil leak '05 Monterey
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 03:23:56 AM »
Just a thought...  Last year I had my Avalanche's (tow vehicle) transmission and transfer case serviced.  Shortly thereafter I had oil dripping on the ground where it was parked overnight in the Foothills of Yuma.  I took it to the Big O tire shop for a look-see where it was dripping.  Apparently, the guy who did my service job did not tighten the transfer case bolts properly.  Big O tightened the bolts and no more drips.  He told me several of the bolts took a 1/2 turn to tighten up.  Like yours, the oil level was not low when checked.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:33:24 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bryan Schmidt

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 05:23:48 AM »
Dale

Take a look at a past post related to hydraulic pump leaks...

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,4424.msg38909.html#msg38909

Bryan
2005 Montrery 36' Ventura IV
Cat C9
Towing a Pathfinder
Navigated by 2 cats

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 12:44:02 PM »
Dale,
I have found many times when a hydraulic pump is bolted direct to transmission PTO housing, the gasket or o-ring in between the pump and housing starts to leak. Often the pump mounting bolts are loose and tightening them sometimes will correct the problem . The source of the oil is from the hydraulic pump shaft oil seal. If you slide the pump back by loosing the pump mount bolts 1/4  inch or so you will see the location of oil drip and/or leaking on hydraulic pump shaft at the pump front housing. Lastly, the connection between the hydraulic pump and the coupling that drives that drives it is a dry housing but a paper gasket keeps outside dirt out of housing.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:06:27 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 03:12:15 PM »
Gasket replaced by previous owner/dealer at a Allison service center.

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 03:24:16 PM »
Hi Mine is hyd Pump is seeping as well, I was told once upon a time that there were 30,000 drips to a quart (folk law?) but hydraulic tank capacity is 48 quarts, so 1.4 million drips ?!?. Something I will need to keep an eye on and I carry a spare gallon of Dextron III but I have not noticed a decrease in fluid level. my understanding is that this pump is no longer available form the manufacturer. You may want to look at post http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php?topic=4424.0 about gasket replacement

ALSO more importantly Please check the output hose that goes from that pump to fan motor, On mine, when the coach was built, they did NOT put rub guards on this hose and it chaffed through the outer covering exposing and damaging the underling braids. damage was HIDDEN and happened on as the hose passed over the frame rail and where it contacted the air intake pipe.
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Dale Walker

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 07:48:11 PM »
Thanks Jim! LOL!! That was a very informative response!! LOL!! It seems this must be an ongoing problem with this set up. I am inclined to try and ignore it, it's hard, but I feel the effort needed to rectify it is more work and money than a few quarts of oil. Like you, I checked the level, can hardly see a change. The drip isn't bad enough to see in on the front of the Jeep. I think I'll just keep watch of it. BTW, thanks for the heads up on the hose chaffing problem!!

Dale