Author Topic: Leaking Slides - is some leakage normal?  (Read 3432 times)

Mike Shumack

Leaking Slides - is some leakage normal?
« on: July 10, 2018, 02:13:30 PM »
I have my Slides out (while parked outdoors in storage at my home) and it's been raining like crazy here in FL.

I noticed that I have some "wet carpet" in the front corner of the Driver's Living Room slide, and at the front corner of the Driver's side Bedroom slide. The passenger side Slides seem to be dry.

Is it normal to have some leakage, or does this mean it's time to replace the seals?

The outer seal is showing its age, but I believe it must be the inner seal that is leaking.  I think the inner seal is what keeps rain out when the slide is extended (but maybe it's a combination of inner and outer). I'm not sure what is used for the inner seal (I can't really see it).

Where should I buy the seals? Does anyone have part numbers?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Leaking Slides - is some leakage normal?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 02:49:03 PM »
Mike,
Definitely not normal to have any leakage at slide seals. If you haven't already, insure the seal is not "folded" so that part of it is facing outboard and part inboard as there will be a gap at the "fold". Check with BCS as to getting new seals.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 03:11:58 PM »
A few years ago while at BCS in Bend, I asked to have the seals on the curbside living room slide looked at.  BCS replaced the outside seal because the wrong seal had been installed.  The problem, though, was the inside seal (the seal for when the slide is out).  It can only be accessed from inside the coach and is affixed to the backside of the slide edge facing away from the interior of the kitchen.  And to make matters worse, the bad part of that seal is on the aft vertical edge of the slide... where the edge of the slide is only two or three inches from the stationary back wall of the kitchen.  The BCS tech said a bunch of the kitchen cabinetry would require removal to access and replace the seal.  Well... it doesn't leak that I know of; at least, I've seen no evidence of leakage.  So I passed on the cost to do a several-day job.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »
Mike,
Definitely not normal to have any leakage at slide seals. If you haven't already, insure the seal is not "folded" so that part of it is facing outboard and part inboard as there will be a gap at the "fold". Check with BCS as to getting new seals.
Steve

The outer seal is folding. I have sprayed it with seal lube, but it still folds under in some places.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 05:54:15 PM »
Mike,
I "fixed" this on a Marquis we owned by giving the slide sides a good polishing. Wizards or New Finish work well. I also treat my gaskets with baby powder a couple of times a year. It's a good dry lube and also seems to help.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 12:06:02 AM »
If you are anywhere near Wildwood Fl Alliance RV replaced my seals.  They are near The Villages.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 11:06:21 AM »
I'm not too far from Alliance Coach. If I ever need any work done by others, that's where I'll take her.

But first, I attempt to do the work myself - I like working on this stuff and I'm cheap. As long as I can get the correct parts and some instructions/tips, I will to try making repairs myself.

Thanks