Author Topic: Roof cleaning and sealing  (Read 3130 times)

Tim Manninen

Roof cleaning and sealing
« on: July 12, 2018, 04:04:55 AM »
Hi All,

I was told by an RV tech to use Simple Green to wash the roof then seal it with Mop and Glow.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Roof cleaning and sealing
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 05:12:03 AM »
Tim,
If you follow the tech's advice you'll be doing it every year or so. Here's a permanent solution that looks good too. I've done it on 2 coaches.  http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,2507.msg18671.html#msg18671
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Guy Pryor

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 02:35:50 PM »
Here in the Pacific north west it rains a little more often and I always had white streaks ruining down the sides of my couch. And every spring the roof would need to be cleaned so after cleaning I put a generous coat of Mop and glow on the roof and wow no more white streaks running down the sides and the roof stays a little cleaner to. The roof maintenance guide says the roof needs to be cleaned twice a year. And wile you are up there check the seal for any cracks. I do this once a year usually in the spring and then apply a generous coat of Mop and Glow it take all of about 5 minutes and one bottle of mop and glow will do the roof 4 or 5 times.
The only draw back is if you let the mop and Glow run down the sides of the Coach wash in off right away or it will be a tough job to buff it off latter.  Better not to let the mop and glow run down the sides at all.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 03:53:51 PM »
In the common problems section of the BAC website, there is a tutorial that is modeled after Ed Buker's roof sealant noted by Steve Huber above.

I did my roof with the Rustolem Marine Top Deck paint this summer, and we have had several rain storms since. Not ONE streak down the side, where in the past it looked like brown and white Zebra! All over!

Highly recommended!
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

George H. Wall

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 06:18:46 PM »
I've had the Rustoleum Treatment on my roof for over 4 years. Would not even think not doing anything else!!!! Solves all roof problems.  Henry