Author Topic: Does anyone test their Emergency Egress window?  (Read 3573 times)

Mike Shumack

Does anyone test their Emergency Egress window?
« on: July 15, 2018, 03:45:51 PM »
My Owners manual says I should test the Emergency Egress windows from time to time to make sure they don't stick.
It says the Egress window is "hinged" at the top on the outside. I don't see any hinges on mine.

I want to test but I also don't want the window to fall to ground when I try to open it. Is is hinged?

Gerald Farris

Re: Does anyone test their Emergency Egress window?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 04:02:45 PM »
Mike,
Many Beavers have windows that open wide enough for you to exit the coach through the open window, and with this type window, there is no release handle or hinges on the window. If your windows are smaller, they will have a release handle and hinges across the top.

The owner's manual are usually somewhat generic, and were not often changed to reflect the assembly line changes. So they often contain instructions that do not pertain to your coach. 

Gerald 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 06:23:14 PM by Gerald Farris »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 05:48:11 PM »
Mike my 03 has two escape windows.  Handles are painted red.  They just open by sliding to the side like normal.  I'm sure we could all get out one if time but it is a long way down!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 06:49:40 PM »
My coach windows are probably wide enough for me to get out if highly motivated. But I also have the red latches (not exactly like pictured in the Owner's manual) with the "Emergency Exit" label on several windows.

I suppose I'll wait until actually needed before testing. I have enough work to do now without adding "replace windows that fell to ground and broke during testing".   ;D

Yeah Jerry, it's a long way to ground. We need those aircraft inflatable emergency slides.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 10:20:38 PM »
As you may note, large windows and small will have the labels, but sliders considered too small will have red bottom release handles;  ours is in the bedroom over the curbside dresser drawers.  If a fire up front isolated us in the bedroom, pushing the window bottom out gives us the room of the entire window to get out through, both the static and sliding parts.  Not sure that someone with mobility issues could get up on the dresser Corian, negotiate the window (especially if it’s not braced up), and drop to the ground uninjured, but I think there are devices made to aid in that a bit.  The window slides as a normal one does, but the slide is within a secondary frame hinged at the top and latched at the bottom.  I don’t think yours will fall to the ground, Mike.

After checking operation, it may be a good idea to put Aerospace 303 or dry silicone along the window edge to keep it from ever sticking, in addition to “exercising” it once a year.

The Wynn’s demonstrate:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSveLuK31B8

Joel
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:37:04 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 11:02:39 PM »
Test your windows often.  If you spend time in hot weather, test them more often.  As Joel says use a bit of silicon lube for the seals.
We have had 5 class A s and neve had an exit window fall out.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 04:28:57 AM »
I have not tried my emergency window but have been told that a short length of PVC pipe will hold the window open so people can get out without the window banging them.
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Doug Allman

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 10:07:41 AM »
From an old Fire Chief.
As MAC the Fire Guy always taught and demonstrated was that it is too late to do testing, that is see how to open and actually get out of an escape window during an emergency. During a FIRE situation your time is limited to seconds - not minutes.
The human respiratory system cannot take the heat or the smoke for more than seconds.
FIRE is the number one cause of deaths in an RV due to the toxic fumes that fill the unit in a very very quick manner.
The number one cause of FIRE is the RV style refrigerator which is cooled by LP gas. However even though many units now eliminate the LP gas refrigerator  there are numerous other causes of fire in an RV and escape openings are still definitely needed to be familiar with and tested frequently so that they will open when needed. There has been numerous documented deaths due to not being able to get the escape openings opened as they were stuck shut due to not being opened at minimum annually.
In many documented cases having a tire blowout on the passenger side of the coach with 3/4 to a full tank of fuel, starts a fire when the sparks ignite the diesel fuel due to the ruptured rubber unprotected fuel fill hose that runs right thru the fender well of the tire. The full fuel tank pours fuel onto the fire that basically engulfs the entry door and eliminates it as an escape route from the coach (middle entry door coach's excepted).
Electrical Bays, Batteries, generator, aqua hot, are all sources of fires due to electricity or fuel.
Having suppression systems in all these locations including proper monitoring type smoke and carbon dioxide units does not mitigate the event but it does give you additional time to exit the Coach.
There is nothing better than actual practicing and being prepared for that event.
You are not going to have time to get into the safe and get your money out.
You are not going to have time to get your medications.
You will be very fortunate to get out, so practice doing so no matter what that practice takes.
The following users thanked this post: Steve Huber Co-Admin