Author Topic: 12VDC electrical problem  (Read 3077 times)

Samuel Sperbeck

12VDC electrical problem
« on: July 16, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »
I have not had our 2001 patriot thunder running since we got towed home. I am working to reinstall the hydraulic pump and motor for the front slide out and leveling system. I have the chassis batteries hooked up for testing the pump motor and when I turn on the ignition switch something is putting a heavy draw on the output side of the ignition solenoid. The voltage goes from 12.72 to between 5 and six volts when the ignition switch is turned on. I disconnected the cable to the pump and the voltage drop didn't change. So I guess I'll have to keep disconnecting cables until the voltage drop stops and try to figure out where that cable goes. Any suggestions as to the source of this problem?

Thanks, Sam

Mike Shumack

Re: 12VDC electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:46:13 PM »
I would start by having the Chassis batteries tested. At least put them on a slow charge for a while as they are most likely drained from the time sitting.

If the batteries test okay, then I would disconnect some of the feeds to various circuits to try to isolate the problem. For example take the cable off the Big Boy solenoid. See if the voltage at ignition switch remains constant when you turn the key on. If it does, try pulling engine fuses that are fed off Chassis batteries. Once you find the "system" that causes voltage to drop, then you can narrow it down from there.

I could not find a Chassis wiring diagram for you coach. If you have one, it will make the job a lot easier.

For example, you want a diagram like this one (maybe this will work for you - although it is a 2003 diagram).

Samuel Sperbeck

Re: 12VDC electrical problem
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 11:44:52 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting the wiring diagram. It was a big help finding a loose connection on the isolator panel. I had loosened that connection to remove the blown 200 amp fuse for the hydraulic pump and hadn't replaced the fuse yet. My neighbor, retired electrical contractor, is helping me and between the two of us we got the hydraulic pump reinstalled and working. Now to put everything back that we had to remove to get access to the hydraulic pump. That includes the plastic housing around the battery slide out, the slide out, the batteries, and reconnect all the cables to the batteries. I will probably be reluctant to use the leveling system in the future because of all the trouble I created for myself by trying to silence the annoying alarm telling me my jacks were not fully retracted. If I can locate that alarm I am going to disable it.

Thanks again for your help, Mike