Author Topic: Loose cracked floor tile  (Read 2026 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Loose cracked floor tile
« on: August 05, 2018, 11:15:49 PM »
Our beautiful 2005 Patriot Thunder is starting to show its age, we have a cracked floor tile and two other tiles have "lifted" a bit from the floor, like the tile cement has failed. Any fixes other than redo with vinyl (ugh!). I saw something on UTube about a floor cement, like caulk, you drill a hole in the grout line, squeeze the caulk gun and then this stuff expands (like foam) under the remaining tile. Don't know if it works, but what have others done to fix loose floor tiles?

At Rocky Mtn Natl Park; maybe internet, maybe not

Thanks
Bill
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Hal Grimshaw

• BAC Member
Re: Loose cracked floor tile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »
if your on the Colorado rallies talk to Vicki Warren.  She just got wood and is very happy.  weighs a lot less too.
2007 Patriot Thunder
C13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 07:36:27 PM »
Why not try to gently pry up the loose tile and then see if you can reattach. You would want to clean out the grout between adjacent tiles first (i.e. use a grout saw or dremel tool) so prying up one does not crack an adjacent tile.

If it cracks, then move on to plan B where you replace the tile with wood or something else.
I think if you try to inject anything under the tile you will just end with the tile sticking up higher than the surrounding tiles.

I had a small tile come loose at the entrance, and it did not appear to be attached with tile mortar/mastic. Looked like it was attached with construction adhesive. After removing the tile and cleaning/scraping the underlayment, I reattached it with the epoxy thinset (below).

When I added tile to my entry steps I used a two-part epoxy thinset (Latapoxy) and epoxy grout (Spectralock). In this case the tiles are "epoxied" directly to the metal of steps. Maybe epoxy is overkill but these tiles are sure not coming loose.

This https://www.tilestoreonline.com/Laticrete_Latapoxy_300_Epoxy_Adhesive_Thinset_p/93-latapoxy-300.htm

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:08:53 AM »
If the one tile that is broken is in the same group as those that are loose remove the broken and use a putty knife to lift the loose I have done this 3/4 times use thin set and replace the grout.
I assume you have some new replacements if not check with BCS they may have Bend.   
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13