Author Topic: 3M Film front of Coach  (Read 2911 times)

jeffprupis

3M Film front of Coach
« on: July 19, 2018, 04:45:59 PM »
I got a bit too aggressive in trying to de-bug our coach. Used a green scotch bite pad.  (yeah, yeah I know) Is there any wax that can be applied to remove surface scratches. Or any other solutions? Bra?

Bill Sprague

Re: 3M Film front of Coach
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 05:18:17 PM »
Jeff,

Don't read further if you want a happy answer......

When our '04 Monterey was a few years old, we went on a trip from Oregon to Newfoundland.  Wally Kimball and I got into a friendly contest over who had the the rig with the most gleam and shine.  One day, in an effort to be ahead of Wally, I thought using a wet microfiber cloth would get the road grime off the 3M plastic.   It did, but put fine scratches everywhere. 

Over the next years I tried every wax, polish and even a pricy "random orbital" polisher.  It only made it worse. 

You have two choices.  Live with it or peel it off.   Peeling it off is slow, difficult but still possible.  Other BAC members have done it with success.   If you are very careful to wash it gently with lots of water, it probably won't get worse.

jeffprupis

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 05:23:13 PM »
Well you're just a bundle of joy. LOL. Headed to Newfoundland right now. Thanks anyway.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 05:45:07 PM »
Jeff,

I considered not responding to keep from ruining your day!   The trouble is that I think I made mine worse every time I was inspired by new remedies.  Paint is hard enough to make polishing out scratches possible.  The 3M is soft so rocks bounce off. 

Looking back, I think the 3M stuff is wonderful for about the first half dozen years.  Then it can become a liability.   At the rally in Bend last week I saw plenty of 10+ year old Beavers with perfect 3M shields.  I also saw a couple where that was replaced by truck bed liner colored to match!

Have fun on your adventure to Newfoundland.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »
Jeff,
Assuming that you are talking about the 3M plastic shield that was factory installed on most coaches, you were going to get sun cracking anyway. At 12 to 15 years of age all of them start developing cracks from sun exposure unless the coach seldom sees the sun. Since your coach is in the 13 to 14 year old range, some of what you are looking at may be from sun damage instead of your cleaning practices, and Bill is right in that you have to remove it even if you are installing another shield.   

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 06:21:53 PM »
If the 3M shield is failing, consider fixing while you can enjoy it!  One way or the other you get to pay for it.  In our case there was a pricy penalty when we executed a trade in.   That could have been avoided if I had replaced it a few years earlier.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 10:37:30 PM »
I worked mine over just a couple of weeks ago.  I didn’t get the micro-scratches out, but I did dim them.  Only when the sun shines at a certain angle on the front can they be seen enough to notice.  Ours is 3M, not Diamond Shield, and original to the coach - 12 years.  Regular use of anti-UV waxes and protectants apparently has kept it from drying and cracking.

I used old plastic cleaners and polishes by Meguiar’s... the cleaner has a coarser cut, followed by the polish that has a light one.  I then researched top polishes for UV protection and found that some I had on hand are not recommended on vinyl or plastic, etc.  So I ultimately ordered what 3M says is okay, their expensive Perfect-it Paste Wax, #39526.  I’m sure another would be okay as long as it has no warning on it re. use on plastic, but this for sure was.  Novus plastic polishes (search Amazon) would work when my old Meguiar’s run out, and likely use newer formulations.

Like with the plastic polishes, I used my Porter-cable polisher and 6” orange Lakeside disk to work the paste wax in... it is strange stuff, hard and wax-like in the can, even tricky to scoop out onto a cloth, but it turns creamy slick when applied.  I also did the mirrors since they show signs of blistering chrome that hasn’t peeled yet.   I then buffed it all with cotton disk covers.  To top it, I used HydroSilex per it’s directions.  A lot of work but good enough that I’m certainly not considering film replacement anytime soon.

The main preventative is to thoroughly rinse the film before any polishing.  Cleaning gently with Dawn and hot water is advisable to remove bugs and grit to minimize micro-scratches.

Joel

Note the headlamps have film on them also, by Force Graphics in Bend, across Boyd Acres from BCS. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:02:30 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 07:55:56 PM »
The 3M on my ’08 Patriot is now showing signs of what looks kind of like mold between the 3M and paint.  I have always waxed the front but I think the combination of heat and humidity in TN may have contributed to the issue I am now experiencing.  I am seriously considering trying to remove the film and I don’t have plans to replace it.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 03:10:20 AM »
Norm,

Talk to Marty Schenck.   He and Suzie successfully removed theirs.  I recall they used a combination of a release agent, plastic razor blades and lots of patience over a few days. 

Another way might be a pressure washer.  One day I was using an electric pressure washer hooked to hot water to get some bugs off.  I accidentally peeled back a small section of the 3M mask.  I was tempted to continue, but didn't.

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »
Last winter I successfully stripped very deteriorated film off the front of our ‘05 Monterey. I used a small steamer (so as to maintain a hot but not destructive temperature) and a Lisle plastic chisel. It was a laborious job, taking about 30 hours in all in four stages; strip, residual adhesive removal, clear coat polishing, waxing. The time accrued mostly because of the time needed for the steamer to soften a small area of film, the slow progress using a 1” scraper, and the time waiting for the Goo Gone to soften the residual adhesive. The Lisle chisels come in various widths, 3/4” to 1 1/2 “, and the part numbers are 81210, 81220, & 81230. I bought mine through Summit racing and its sturdy design and comfortable handle allowed me to work about 3 hours/day without cramping or subsequent soreness. Pictures are of the chisel and an in-progress shot showing the film and an area freshly stripped before cleaning off the residual adhesive. I am delighted with the end product and with how easily the waxed nose can be cleaned off after a typical day’s travel.
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium