Author Topic: Cracked water shut-off valves  (Read 2663 times)

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Cracked water shut-off valves
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:15:48 AM »
    Greetings Beaver members,
  Just thought I would share a potential problem that may occur now that winter is about over. If your coach is equipped with a water distribution manifold, you may want to inspect the retainer caps just behind the shut off knobs. The retainer cap holds the guts of the valve and seals inside the valve. If the cap is cracked and fails, it will blow out the valve and seals. Makes for a nice fountain if you left the compartment door open after hooking up city water. You can't buy the threaded cap separately but any "Flair-it" valve will work. Cheapest valve is part #06880 from Amazon for about $8.00 each. The repair is pretty easy. Turn off the pump and city water. Remove the knob by pulling it off. Use channel locks to remove the cap ONLY. Remove the cap from the replacement valve you ordered and screw it on. DO NOT overtighten just snug it up. Have a Great RV Season. The definition of Recreation is to "recreate" so.......Go make some great memories!
    Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Keith Moffett, Jerry Emert

Marilyn Ruta

• BAC Member
Re: Cracked water shut-off valves
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 05:08:49 PM »
Good day,
We ran into this problem on our 1998 Patriot. I was able to find just the valve top nut from Elkhart Supply Corporation.

Description          Number                                  Unit Price   Price
Valve Parts: Flair-It   06420 TOP NUT FOR VALVE Bulk   $1.19   $1.19

Here is the link to the page where I found it.
https://www.escousa.net/plumbing/products-plumbing-f-z/
If you go about 1/2 way down you will find "Valves: Flair-It OEM and PEX Repair Fittings"
Then scroll down to the last item in this section "Valve Parts: Flair-It"
In the drop down box for this item you will be able to select 06420 TOP NUT FOR VALVE Bulk   $1.19 and add to your cart.
I ordered a bunch and now have a few spares. They worked great for me.
98 Patriot Ticonderoga
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks, Frank Bergamo

Pat Long

Re: Cracked water shut-off valves
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 06:54:51 PM »
Had this happen to me a year ago luck I was around to catch it.   As stated earlier it is a Flair it valve and I purchased some at a local dealer.   I repaired the cap with superglue and epoxy on the exterior of the cap and it is still holding.   I have the spares as a back up the manifold is quite a job to expose and repair