Author Topic: Leveling System 2001 Beaver Patriot Concord  (Read 4986 times)

Marc Sullivan

Leveling System 2001 Beaver Patriot Concord
« on: July 30, 2018, 07:06:09 PM »
Hi,
I am a new owner of a 2001 Beaver Patriot Concord. Unfortunately my purchase did not include a complete set of manuals. I am looking for information on the leveling system on the coach. I have looked through the site here but cannot seem to find information on it. I have included a photo of the control panel. Any information would be appreciated. I would really appreciate operation guidelines as I would like to know I am using the system correctly. Thanks

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:22:22 PM by Marc Sullivan »

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Leveling System 2001 Beaver Patriot Concord
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 09:56:05 PM »
Marc,

You have a replacement aftermarket control unit made by Beave Coach Sales in Bend OR.  It operates manually each individual jacks separately rather than the OEM controller that operated all automatically.  Turn switch to "ON" and operate the jacks down to level.  Be very careful not to twist the frame.  To retract, hit the "ALL" button.  Good luck and welcome to BAC and the forum.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 10:14:35 PM »
Marc
I believe that is the SMC leveling system but the control panel is one created by Dan and Steve at BCS because original parts are not available.  You can probably get BCS to email you a copy of the manual.
That was a Spendy fix by a previous owner and one worry to cross off your list!
There is ample info on the SMC leveling system in the search on this forum too so that might help you further.

Congrats on the coach and welcome!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dale Barham

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 10:16:45 PM »
We had many trials and tribulations with our 2001 Patriot Thunder leveling system.  Karl is correct that your panel is the Beaver Coach Sales manual work-around for the original system which had problems.  His directions are correct, but we find that retracting the jacks one by one (ONCE YOU ARE ALL AIRED UP!) with engine running works better than the "ALL" button.  We also have had some major hydraulic issues that are resolved, but still seems that the leveling systems just doesn't get enough fluid to respond well when setting the jacks (after slides are out and air is manually released).  We have to turn on the engine to (apparently) get enough hydraulic fluid to lower the jacks, especially the front ones, to raise up the coach when leveling.  You have to do this quickly as while the engine is restarted, the air starts to fill!  Sorry, I don't think BCS produced any instruction book for this work-around.  Hope this helps!
Dale & Sue Barham
With Vizslas Lux & Gypsy, & Cat Tweety
2001 Beaver Patriot Thunder
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 10:26:59 PM »
Marc,
Like Karl said, your coach has been converted to a manual system because there are no parts available to repair the automatic system. So the original manual would be of little to no use for you.

The proper leveling procedure would be to extend the slides, dump air, extend the jacks in pairs to level the coach side to side first, and then extend the jacks in pairs to level the coach front to rear. After the coach is level, extend the unused jack until it touches before turning off the system. When departing, air up, retract all jacks, and then retract the slides.

The reason that you use jacks in pairs is to prevent twisting the coach. So if you use jacks individually to level the coach, be very careful not to twist the coach because if you cause a twist in the coach, it will break the windshield.

Gerald 

The following users thanked this post: Dale Barham

Marc Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 03:23:26 AM »
Marc,
Like Karl said, your coach has been converted to a manual system because there are no parts available to repair the automatic system. So the original manual would be of little to no use for you.

The proper leveling procedure would be to extend the slides, dump air, extend the jacks in pairs to level the coach side to side first, and then extend the jacks in pairs to level the coach front to rear. After the coach is level, extend the unused jack until it touches before turning off the system. When departing, air up, retract all jacks, and then retract the slides.

The reason that you use jacks in pairs is to prevent twisting the coach. So if you use jacks individually to level the coach, be very careful not to twist the coach because if you cause a twist in the coach, it will break the windshield.

Gerald

Thanks very much for this but I am a little confused , if I extend the jacks in pairs how do I end up with a unused jack ? I may be confused by what a "pair" is ? Thanks again.

Marc Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 03:26:45 AM »
Also what are the green led status lights indicating Thanks again

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 05:08:18 AM »
Marc,
If the coach is low on the left side and you extend the left two jacks to level the level the coach from side to side, you will have two jacks down. Then, if you raise the rear to level the coach from front to rear, the coach will be level with the RF jack still not lowered. Ideally you will extend both right jacks in this scenario until they make contact before leveling the coach from front to rear. Just be careful to exert even pressure on the coach to prevent twisting the chassis.

The lights indicate a lowered jack that needs to be raised before driving the coach.

Gerald

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 11:03:31 AM »
Just be careful to exert even pressure on the coach to prevent twisting the chassis.
Gerald

How do you know if you are exerting even pressure?
Do you just lower the jacks until then touch the ground and then press "two leveling buttons at a time" for an equal amount of time? Like two seconds each for Left side (if left side needs to come up).

I did experience a cracked windshield due to frame twist (but it was due to a malfunction of leveling system, not manually incurred). so now I'm nervous whenever I level and I will tend to use the automatic air leveling over using the hyd jacks.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 04:42:23 PM »
Mike,
You are correct in the procedure to use a manual hydraulic leveling system to prevent a frame twist. Also, you are correct in the use of your automatic air leveling system to reduce the frame twist problem. Even though there is some twist with any leveling system at times, there will be less frame twist with a HWH automatic air leveling system than any other system.

Gerald

Marc Sullivan

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 01:18:20 PM »
As perhaps a final note, I contacted Beaver Coach Sales and they sent me this.

Mack Turner

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 02:42:53 AM »
Hello mark, do you still have this coach if so please contact me