Author Topic: New Beaver owner  (Read 3182 times)

Jason Worman

New Beaver owner
« on: July 31, 2018, 07:19:57 AM »
Hi

My wife and I live here on the Oregon Coast and recently purchased a 1991 36' Beaver Contessa with the Laurel floorplan and the Cat 3116 engine. The poor girl had been neglected for years and we have spent the past three months giving the interior a complete overhaul. In addition we are now living in it full time where I work. Any advice to a couple of newbies? We still have exterior work to perform. In addition to the interior we removed all the windows and resealed them as well as all metal trim removed, what a full three months. Still needs new generator starter, house batteries etc. We are loving the solid feel of a well built coach. If anyone ever comes to Reedsport feel free to stop by my place of work and check her out. Look forward to get involved. Regards, Jason and Barb
The following users thanked this post: Rick and Laura Stephens, Margaret Cook, David T. Richelderfer

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: New Beaver owner
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 07:50:22 AM »
Janson, welcome you will be surprised this group is like family and you will enjoy. Adding
my little tie bit about your new to you beaver motorhome. Do not let the age bother you on
your motorhome because you will never wear it out. Just wanted to touch base on your
Caterpillar 3116 engine which is a very good engine and very fuel efficient. This was the
last series of mechanical mid-range engines before Caterpillar bought about the electronic
engine that was computerized. The engine is not a real powerhouse but weighting everything
else will get you down the road with low operating cost. Dave Atherton Retire Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Margaret Cook

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »
Welcome Jason and Barb too!

If she has been so neglected, have you checked the roof seals?  Home Depot sells oscillating tools that can zip the old sealant off in a hurry.  Wipe it down for residue with wax/grease remover and then reapply with Dichor sealant. 

Be sure also to check the DOT code on the tires for age.  8 years or older need close attention or replacement.

Just remember, it is a long process to bring the maintenance list up to date so don't rush. 

The folks on this forum will support you and answer questions non stop.  Great group of guys!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Carol Moffett

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »
Welcome Jason and Barb!
   It’s so good to see you utilizing the forum! That is one of the great benefits of being a Beaver family member! Keith and I really hope to see you at a rally sometime, also! You will love being in this club! Like Dave said, we are family! Welcome!
Beaver hugs!
Carol Moffett
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Jason Worman

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 11:57:03 PM »
Well we said goodbye to our duplex today and are living in our Beaver fulltime!!! Our two college students are home for the summer and it's a bit of adjustment. Its wonderful that both rooftop ac's work, but the weather here at Oregon coast is not terribly hot. The other great part is no more rent payments, we live where I work. We have a triage (wish) list of things to do including resealing caulk to replacing generator starter. We live in Reedsport Oregon, feel free stop in anytime soon for a visit. Thank you to those offered warm welcome wishes.