Author Topic: Onan Genarator Starter replacement costs  (Read 2324 times)

Jason Worman

Onan Genarator Starter replacement costs
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:52:21 PM »
Hi All,

I was wondering how much folks have paid to have their Onan generator starter replaced. It's a Genset set emarald 6.5 kw LP. Unfortunately it's not installed on a slide out tray so it has to be removed. The place I called here in Coos Bay said labor was roughly 600.00 plus the cost of the starter. Final question is would you trust ordering the part off of Amazon. Thanks

Gerald Farris

Re: Onan Genarator Starter replacement costs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 11:21:13 PM »
Jason,
Usually, it is cheaper to have a starter repaired at an automotive electrical shop than it is to buy a new starter. As for ordering a new one from Amazon, since Amazon has many vendors, there is not way to answer the question with certainty, but most Amazon vendors are very good, and Amazon has a very liberal return policy.

Are you sure that you have a bad starter? On many Onan generators, the starter circuit runs through the generator control module as well as a starter solenoid. Just because you push the starter button and nothing happens, it does not necessarily mean that the starter is bad.

Gerald   

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 01:36:53 AM »
Gerald,

I had an RV tech come and verify that the starter had gone out, he says to use original Onan parts are best

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 10:53:08 PM »
Jason
Just in my opinion, if the big cost is pulling out the Generator then use the original equipment because to find out a replacement part isn't as good could be very Spendy later.  Also, while it is out I would have a Onan certified tech look it over and service it.  Bigger expense now but you will be happier this winter I bet!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mark Parker

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:09:53 PM »
yeah, I wish mine were on a slide out tray too.