Author Topic: Bandaid for Frozen AC Clutch  (Read 2387 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Bandaid for Frozen AC Clutch
« on: August 04, 2018, 11:06:00 PM »
A seized AC Compressor clutch can throw or break the serpentine belt. With most engines, this results in a no-run situation as the water pump is driven by the belt. On 3126 type engines with a separate water pump v belt, one can limp into a repair facility. On the C9, you are dead in the water.
The AC compressor can be bypassed with the right belt, giving one the ability to get to repair facility under your own power. I found that the Gates K080751 belt will suffice. It is about an inch longer than absolutely needed but the tensioner takes up the slack sufficiently. I wouldn't recommend running at max engine RPMs but to get you to a repair facility it should be fine. I got mine at Rock Auto for just under $25 including shipping.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jim Nichols, Stan Simpson

Samuel Sperbeck

Re: Bandaid for Frozen AC Clutch
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 09:08:08 PM »
Hi Steve,
I have been told that there is a belt to bypass the A/C compressor on a C12 engine also, but wasn't told a belt number. Since the serpentine belt on our C12 only powers the A/C compressor and the alternator a shorter belt to keep the alternator running would be nice if the A/C compressor seizes. Do you have a belt number for that? I have replaced the steel bar that holds the alternator in position with a 1/2" turnbuckle so I have some flexibility for length of belt. When we brought our Beaver home from Arizona it had too long of belt and it started slipping so I removed the belt and ran the generator to keep the batteries charged until we got home. Thats why I put the turnbuckle in until I learned I didn't have the right belt, thanks to Gerald.
As always thanks to the members of this forum for all the information provided, Sam

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 02:34:56 AM »
Sam,
I don't know the number. What I did to ID the belt for the C9 was to take a string and run it on the path I wanted the new belt to follow. Then I measured the string. (Gerald's good idea as usual  :))) Find a belt that length with the correct width and number of ribs.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Michael Peters

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 12:14:29 AM »
I've got the C12 and had an alternator failure 1 hr from camp. It didn't throw the belt. I started my genset and drove on to camp. As a side note Amazon had a replacement alternator $100. less than NAPA, with next day delivery. Long story short, it didn't work!
NAPA took 3days,but it worked! Amazon took 3mos to get refund. I'm all NAPA since, there everywhere.