Author Topic: I Finally Did The Nasty Thing  (Read 5275 times)

Bill Sprague

I Finally Did The Nasty Thing
« on: August 06, 2018, 03:33:31 AM »
I've been in charge of the hookups for four rigs over 25 years. 

The thunderstorm was coming to Thermopolis, WY.  I was in a rush to get it all hooked up.  The black tank was in need of draining.  I had to put the long hose on to reach.  I screwed the elbow into the hole.  I pulled the handle.  Only then did I realize I had yet to attach the hose to the elbow!

I put on my best rubber gloves, picked up what I could and put it a garbage bag.  Put the gloves in too!  Then I sprayed water until what was left dispersed into the gravel. 

Funny thing is, nobody seemed to notice!  It pays to not yell, scream or shout when you screw up.  Just carry on like you know what you're doing.

The following users thanked this post: Rick and Laura Stephens, Karl Welhart

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: I Finally Did The Nasty Thing
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 04:45:44 AM »
Like with most organizations, some of our members are more, ahem, effluent than others.  Beaver or Squirrel, in this instance it must’ve been a real crap shoot (cough).

But to expunge one’s best rubber gloves, Bill... a significant and honorable sacrifice indeed!

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Dean Johnson

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 02:49:32 PM »
I was wondering...   what had you been using your rubber gloves for which had not driven you to throw them away before this?

I bought gloves... used them a few times but mainly for fueling.  I don't use them anymore.  I grew up on a wheat, cattle, and hog farm.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 03:25:19 PM »
I use these. A new pair every time. When I'm done, take off the left hand first, using the right hand, and roll it into a ball in the right hand. Then take off the right hand, turning it inside out and enclosing the left hand one. Nothing touches your skin, and you can just drop it in the trash.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Hal Grimshaw

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 05:50:49 PM »
somewhat the same 35 years ago on a mini Winnie but it was the connection to the rig and I was looking at it to make sure it worked.

didn't loose much before I noticed it and shut it off.

OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2007 Patriot Thunder
C13

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 10:46:43 PM »
I use these. A new pair every time. When I'm done, take off the left hand first, using the right hand, and roll it into a ball in the right hand. Then take off the right hand, turning it inside out and enclosing the left hand one. Nothing touches your skin, and you can just drop it in the trash.
Sounds like medical/law enforcement/firefighter training right there!  I've done that very same thing so many times during career and now RVing that it is an automatic process!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 10:27:49 AM »
Hey Bill
This brings to mind my little adventure in  Az about a year ago.  Earned me the Beaver pelt.  If you didnt have the new micro Beaver I would sure pass it off to you! 
The thought occured to me anyhoo.
Lol
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 02:50:13 PM »
I was wondering...   what had you been using your rubber gloves for which had not driven you to throw them away before this?

I bought gloves... used them a few times but mainly for fueling.  I don't use them anymore.  I grew up on a wheat, cattle, and hog farm.
David,

I grew up and worked in cities.  My hands are soft and tender, maybe even a little weak.  Some say my politics are the same.  My gloves are not the thin medical ones.   Mine are the cheap rubber coated work gloves that improve my grip! 

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 07:07:41 AM »
So, Bill-

Sorry to hear about your MISSED-adventure. I'm sure you have had many successful deployments in the past.

Now, we have only been doing this RV thing for almost 6 months, and when it comes to making thoes connections ourselves, we have made it our SOP to pull the Grey tank first for five to ten seconds to 'test' the connections are secure, and then pinch it off to save the rest of the grey for after the black dump. It seems to me, that it would be more desirable to get drenched in sudzy bath water on the first try than "The Nasty" coverings of last night's dinner passings...

...but maybe that's the real reason the grey sudzy water is saved for last...  and not just to rinse the tubes!

I think thoes caravan predecessors sure are wiley pranksters by instructing us all to pull the black valve first. My condolences on the mess they had placed you in...
-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804

George L Smith

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 12:08:53 AM »
I have a series of posts on my blog about macerator/sanicon and black tank issues. Most people tell me that they are amusing. :-) It wasn't at the time.

http://www.movingthemarq.com

enjoy.

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 04:22:06 AM »
Mike Thomas: I have done the same thing for 30 years and never had a problem with this procedure.

Larry
Larry Fritz

Doug Allman

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 12:24:50 AM »
You do not even have to pull the black tank handle or push its switch if electrically opened, IF, you never shut the vale when you last dumped. Just take off the cap to put the hose connection on and you got it.