Author Topic: Oil pressure gauge and check engine light  (Read 2719 times)

Mark Cunningham

Oil pressure gauge and check engine light
« on: November 26, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »
Good Morning Beaver Believers.

I researched on BAC but no luck. So looking for some help.

2008 Beaver Contessa Catipillar C9 425

First... Oil pressure gauge has been intemintenly dropping to bottom low position. 5-10 second then pops back up to normal. Check engine light never comes on. Digital readout of oil pressure stayed normal.  Happened many many times.
What happened a couple weeks ago. Oil pressure gauge pegged high and check engine light came on. I pull over stop engine all goes back to normal when crank engine. Then Pull out onto road it does the pegging high and check engine light back on. I made it to mechanic. Diagnostic showed possible oil pressure sensor bad. Had it replaced. No change. Soon as start engine it pegs high and even digital readout shows 147 psi. Check engine light is on. We hook up to computer software all shows NORMAL readings. Go for test drive. Computer software shows normal on all readings.
Now they want to Change out a module in instrument panel. $1080 part alone from REV group parts Dept.
Any ideas????
Thanks
Mark Cunningham

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Oil pressure gauge and check engine light
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 05:16:38 PM »
Mark,
Just a couple of observations;
I'm pretty sure the module in the dash doesn't control both the Aladdin and the gauge, so IMHO they are at the "throw parts at it"  stage.
The symptom of the gauge dropping to zero intermittently while Aladdin shows a normal reading could be a loose connection. May pay to check the area around the sensor they replaced.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 06:19:47 PM »
Mark,
It sounds like you are dealing with 2 different problems. First the intermittent drop in pressure for the dash gauge should be involving the analog signal from the remote oil pressure sensor that is a different circuit from the digital circuit that the engine ECM is using to turn on the check engine lite. Unless in 2009, Monaco used a dash cluster that is tied into the Cat ECM system that I have never seen, a dash cluster can not cause the problem that you described.

There is a possibility that you are just looking at your dash cluster that is getting an analog signal instead of the digital signal from the Cat ECM that you would see on an Aladdin or a Silverleaf/Silverleaf PC. If so your "mechanic" did not diagnose your problem, he was just throwing parts at the problem. First you need to determine if you have two oil pressure sensors just like every Beaver coach that I have ever worked on. If so you need to trouble shoot the analog system that is feeding information to the dash gauge. You may very well have a dash cluster problem, but you may just need a wiring repair or a $20 sensor.

Gerald   

Jim Houghton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 09:36:14 PM »
If I'm not mistaken there are two pressure sensors one for the gauge and one for the Aladdin. They may have simply replaced the wrong one. The one for the Aladdin simply reads a constant digital pressure. I'm sure Dave can chime in and add more to this.
2021 Entegra Cornerstone
2003 Beaver Contessa Tuscany (sold)
Pleasant View, TN :)

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 12:49:36 AM »
Mark, the high engine oil pressure off and on with your engine running is a check valve in the
engine oil cooler. Can be sticking from plastic poppet in valve assembly. There is also a caterpillar update on the oil cooler check valve assembly. One miss understanding on data information from
engine in back to dash. There is a 4 to 6 foot pig tail coming off ECM J-1 data cable with 12 volt
relay where motorhome builder ties into data cable and goes forward to dash. Back at engine ECM
j-2 connector on the engine connects all sensors on engine to the engine ECM. On the C-10, C-12,
and C-15 have oil pressure sensor and a engine shut down pressure sensor mid way down on in
centerof engine block on left side looking at engine from rear to front. Dave Atherton Retired Cat
Mechanic

Mark Cunningham

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 01:43:19 AM »
Dave.
The off and on was the the gauge going low intemintenly but no check engine light.
The newest problem is the check engine light is on and gauge pegging high and staying high and also the digital readout is showing high at 147.
Mine is a C9

Mark Cunningham

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 01:45:13 AM »
Jim.
Thanks. I thought there were 2. But they said only had one. Will investigate

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 02:34:14 AM »
Mark , what engine do you have ? You indicate Caterpillar C-9 425 the only problem I have
with this Caterpillar did not make a C-9 425 hp. But Caterpillar did build a Cat C-9S 425 hp.
Why I question the problem at hand it is not the same for both engines in addressing repairs.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic