Author Topic: Air Force One Install  (Read 6072 times)

Gil_Johnson

Air Force One Install
« on: February 25, 2011, 04:03:32 AM »
Any words of wisdom on installing the Air Force One brake controller in a 2008 Contessa Westport with tag axle?  Where did you install the tank/valve?  Where did you tap into the air lines?  Any gotchas or other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gil
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:02:09 AM by 14 »

John and Judy Gardner

Re: Air Force One Install
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 04:26:07 PM »
Gil, I just had the AF One installed by an RV Service Center and my understanding is that you need to tap into the coach air braking system not the air system.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 04:34:15 AM »
Well I looked under the coach and determined there was not enough room under there for me.  So, I called Alliance and made an appointment.  They too thought it was tight underneth.  So, the Air Force One tank and control valve were mounted just under the hood, which is actually a good placement.  They then only had to run the 2 air lines to the places I couldn't fit underneth.  The technician recommended a dash indicator light for when the TOAD's brakes are being applied.  That made sense to me, so he took out the original electric brake controller and used that wiring to extend the dash light.  The whole job probably took about 2 hours.  Well worth it to me.  I also had the opportunity to chat with some coach owners.  One that was very interesting, and we spoke at length, was the owner of Ron John's Surf Shops.  Great guy.

Alliance was absolutely swampted with RVs.  I think they have about 20 bays.  One thing I found puzzling is why there wasn't a single lift in the whole place!  The cashier/receptionist, the service writer and technician where all very friendly.

Now I have to install the TOAD mounted equipment.  That I still plan on doing myself.

Gil

Robert Mathis

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:57:37 PM »
Interesting that they didn't have a lift. I was in Cummins Power South in Jacksonville a week or so ago for some routine maintainance and saw how they handled lifting a coach. They were replacing a blown ISL and had 4 seperate portable air lifts, one under each tire (or tires), and had the coach 3 or 4 feet off the ground. Maybe Alliance has the same type portable lifts.

Mark Bryant

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 12:49:33 AM »
Gil
Don't know about your unit, but I did the install on my 06 Monterey Huntington IV, in about 4.5 hour, including towed last fall. Just did a freind's HR Neptune and his towed. (4 hours)
My tank & valve went after of the axle, with the air supply coming from in front of the axle. I have a picture of my install, if you want them.

Mark B
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:01:14 AM by 14 »

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 11:52:53 PM »
Nope, Alliance has no lift.

I just, today, installed the AF1 on my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  The install went well.  I was able to find a place to install the AF1 control box.  The under hood space is limited.  I installed it in the fender well where the air compressor is installed in the Overland editions.  I also discovered that the thin metal bumper under the bumper cover must be made of Kryponite!  Drill bits, good bits, would not drill this stuff.

Gil
2008 Contessa

Ron Langdon

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:29:53 AM »
I've used the AF1 unit on my two previous coaches ('02 Sportscoach and 06 Monterey) and expect to use it on my Patriot Thunder. The air line is to the braking system on the coach and the line to the dash is a comforting addition. I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee as a toad and I have connected to both previous coaches without a problem.