Author Topic: Repairing damaged clear coat  (Read 15649 times)

Guy Pryor

Repairing damaged clear coat
« on: August 09, 2018, 04:03:48 PM »
This title is a little misleading because clear coat can not be repaired without damaging the paint. So I have repainted the area above the windshield. And now I know why paint jobs are so expensive, There is a lot of labor involved and it all had to be done on a ladder. And I still need to add 2 or 3 coats of clear coat if I want it to be as shiny as the rest of the coach.  Anyone who has an area that needs paint repair can have touch up paint mixed to match at (WESCO AUTO BODY SUPPLY)  https://wescopbe.com/ They have 70 locations so there is probably one in your neighborhood. Just take a sample into the store and they match and mix it wile you Waite The min they will mix is one pint but the best part is they will put that pint of paint into spray cans and one pint will fill 4 spray cans. I only used 2 spray cans to do this job. This whole job only cost me about $200 in paint and supply's
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Stan Simpson

Mike Shumack

Re: Repairing damaged clear coat
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:04:16 PM »
Nice job. I have this on my to-do list.

In my case the base paint looks okay - it's just the clear coat layer peeling off. I plan to sand down the clear coat without removing any base color and then recoat in clear.
I saw several YouTube videos on this and it looks doable. The videos say the key to decent looking job is to get all the lifting "white" old clear off, using sandpaper from 600 to 1000 grit.

I have this "2K" clear coat, https://www.amazon.com/Spray-High-Gloss-Clearcoat-Aerosol/dp/B0043B7UQY/ref=sr_1_1/140-5830329-4811843?ie=UTF8&qid=1533830508&sr=8-1&keywords=2k+gloss+clear+coat&dpID=41zFQoia0zL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Guy Pryor

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 06:04:23 PM »
When I started this project my base coat was OK also. But believe me it is not posable to sand the clear coat down to flush without sanding down the base coat unless you want to spend vary many hours doing some vary detailed sanding. And if the clear coat is not completely sanded  to smooth the end result will not look any better than what it looks like now just shiner. In the long run It is much easier to repaint the base coat. And I finished up with 2000 grit wet sand paper if you want a show car finish you need to finish with 3000 grit.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 07:17:46 PM »
Thanks Guy for the info.
I will try to just sand down the peeling clear coat first, but will be ready for full paint if that doesn't work.
I'll post a picture of my initial results.

In your last photo, is that before or after the clear coat? It appears a little less glossy than I would have expected. But it may just be the photo.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:28:17 PM by Mike Shumack »

Roland DuBree

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 09:55:00 PM »
All my peeling clear coat problems were with the 20 " or so of caps on the front and back of the roof and where the paint rolled over from the roof down to the gutters on the sides. Solved the problem by sanding the clear coat off those areas of dark color paint with fine sandpaper and repainted with the white roof paint used on the roof.  By going with roof paint down into the top of the side gutters I painted the plastic strips covering the gutter screws and eliminated some sidewall leaks too.  I think the white down into the top side of the gutter makes the coach better looking that as was original.   

Guy Pryor

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 10:44:54 PM »
Mike I have not yet applied any clear coat I am taking a short brake before I spend a few more days up on the ladder because the clear coat will have to be sanded with 2000 grit  and buffed and polished, its not a quick job.

Roland I had peeling clear coat in all the same places as you But scene it's all in areas that are not vary visible unless you are on the roof I just cleaned off all the flaking clear coat and cleaned the area to remove any oil or wax and sprayed it with new clear coat to keep it from peeling any further. from standing on the ground looking up at it it looks pretty good
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 06:35:45 AM »
Roland, do you have a picture of your job.  I was thinking that painting down tot he giputters with white roof paint was a good solution too.  I’d like to see how yours turned out. 

Leon Scroggins

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 02:30:23 AM »
I called Bend Sales concerning color match and they gave me the phone number and contact for Rev Group. They emailed me the actual paint mixing codes and the brand of paint to use. Gave it to painter and it matched great.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 03:27:19 AM »
Leon,
Since our coaches are the same, I'd appreciate it if you told me what they are. Thank you very much in advance.
Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Steve Funk

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 06:09:00 PM »
I had the front and back of the coach painted from the top down and all the nicks and dings along the sides.  Had the work done in Rocky Point, Mexico for $1300.  They spent five days working on it, sanding, sanding, and more sanding then paint and 3 coats of clear coat.  I think they did a great job.  Had Rhino liner put on the front from the headlights down painted the same color as the rest of the front.  Matches perfectly and gives it some protection from rock dings.  Had that same splatter coat done on the back end a few years ago and has held up real well.  Easy to touch up if need to that way.   
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Leon Scroggins

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 01:16:49 AM »
Stan, I apparently didn’t save the email from Rev Group but they sent it to me within a few minutes of my request.

Leon Scroggins

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 02:02:07 AM »
Stan, I am calling Rev Group Monday to get the code sheet again as I am going to work on my roof after this trip. I will email it to you once I get it.
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Leon Scroggins

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 06:58:15 PM »
RV Group emailed me my paint codes. If you have same paint design (see my coach picture, I can email them to you.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 07:08:02 PM »
RV Group emailed me my paint codes. If you have same paint design (see my coach picture, I can email them to you.

Here is a picture. Looks the same to me. My email is in the BAC directory.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Leon Scroggins

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 03:39:23 AM »
Steve, did you get my email with the paint codes?