Author Topic: Air Intake Mods & custom paint  (Read 11072 times)

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Air Intake Mods & custom paint
« on: February 25, 2011, 05:05:55 PM »
Seen different mods to the outside air intake and did try a deflecter style. From plexiglass to metal to off the self floor register at Home Depot. The plastic can't take 60 mph winds and securing it didn't work for me. Sheet metal friend told me to make sure the existing square inches were not reduced. SOooo I came up with a much more aggresive model. See pictures. Just had Arizona Truck and Coach Painting color it and while he had the paint out had the look  of barbed wire put on the side rails. Not enough miles on the air intake yet for a plus or minus, (does it work). We'll be in Branson in September so should know by then. If it doesn't I'll have a work of art hanging off the left side.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Air Intake Mods & custom paint
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:40:02 PM »
I think it looks great I have seen a couple of other members with modified intakes, how did you make this? how was it installed? Do you have any idea of the cost?

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:03:40 AM »
 I made a Styrofoam mold from a 2”x4’x8’ sheet from home depot.  Cover that with fiberglass and cut the mold away. Cut and bent 1’x4’ piece of stucco wire (it matched the original intake wire) for the opening.  Also at the opening I used a ¼”x4’ aluminum rod for reinforcement knowing what the wind could do at 60 mph. The back body cap has a moulding secured with screws to the side panel so two of became my front attachment. The two at the rear are screws from the original vent.  Bondo was used to smooth the roughness. I have a rubber weather strip separating it all from the coach body.  I have about $200 in material and about 35 to 40 hours start to finish in gray primer. If my experiment is successful I could make this one for this coach in 30 hours.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 12:13:55 AM »
Please forgive the naivety but what is the purpose of this mod? Marty

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 05:00:04 AM »
Great Question! The purpose is to increase mlieage. When we purchased this coach some 5 years ago it had 11,000 miles and it now has 53,000. It had an air restriction by Monaco's design and I have tinkered off and on with some success. I have been rewarded with one whole mile per gal. But I think I've hit my limit because I started at 6.6 to 6.8 and now 7.7 to 7.9. Cats do not sip fuel, so I started thinking Air in Air out. And again I don't think I can better it but I keep trying.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jim. Did you ever download the RV perfomance document off of the CAT website? Great info. Marty

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 01:50:35 AM »
Yes. Thank you, and reread after your post just in case something was updated. Everyone needs a memory jog.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:10:08 AM by 14 »
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9