Author Topic: Engine driven air compressor  (Read 2632 times)

Eric Wallace

Engine driven air compressor
« on: August 13, 2018, 10:27:09 PM »
Can anyone tell me if any maintenance is required on the engine driven air compressor on my 2001 Monterey 3126B engine?  I've had trouble finding any references to it.  Thanks.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Engine driven air compressor
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »
Eric,
Read this and watch the utube video link.  http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,8154.msg56420.html#msg56420
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 02:20:50 AM »
Gentleman, some of these videos are fine and person can get a cross of ideas, however some
of these videos pertaining Caterpillar are not correct with information provided. This one party
Has a series of upgrades for Caterpillar engines or what his topic is ( Bullet Proof Your. Caterpillar
Engine ) along with the videos , will throw out Caterpillar media numbers, refence numbers, recalls
etc. how I picked up on this, from BAC member worried about his engine after watching bullet
proof Caterpillar oil cooler. After review video than looking up all upgrades listed on video. What I found information never been in the Caterpillar system and media numbers and refence number
Non-found.in caterpillar system. Looking at videos is great but before letting your mind set , I
would suggest contact: Ask Dave on the BAC technical section and provide me your engine S/N
number. I than will provide any and all upgrades on your engine along with technical bulletins
media numbers and reference numbers etc. In closing your Caterpillar engine built for the long
haul and trouble free operations using Caterpillar OEM parts. Problems I have found on motorhomes
add on aftermarket parts, advice that is not correct and very confusing to owners what is right.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Mike Tomas

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 02:59:55 AM »
Eric,
The short and simple answer to your question is nothing. The engine driven air compressor is lubricated by pressurized engine oil that drains back into the engine oil pan, and it uses air from the engine intake system that has already passed through the engine intake air filter. So your normal engine maintenance is all that is needed for the air compressor.

Gerald 

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »
Gerald thank, your point very well put. Dave Atherton

Eric Wallace

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 06:30:53 AM »
I had some family issues that kept me off the forum for several weeks, but finally checked back in for your input on my engine compressor question.  Thanks Steve, Dave, and Gerald for your answers.  Good to know I haven't been ignoring something important.  You guys are the best!
 Eric