Author Topic: House Batteries Showing 16 amp discharge on Shore Power  (Read 1713 times)

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
House Batteries Showing 16 amp discharge on Shore Power
« on: August 14, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »
   Should we be seeing a discharge on our house batteries when ON shore power or Gen. power, seems unusual to me. What drew my attention was when we were overnighting and had NO power hooked up and Gen OFF, we were showing a discharge of 55 amps which is unusually high in comparison to 15 to 22 amps that we were use to seeing. Basically we were dry camping overnight with this high of discharge (55 amps). The only equipment operating overnight was Refrig, and a fan.
   During Shore  or Gen power operation the solar shows positive amps and the house batteries show a discharge even though they are holding at 13.0 volts.
          Any ideas out there?

Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: House Batteries Showing 16 amp discharge on Shore Power
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 04:27:41 PM »
Could be an erroneous reading due to a bad sensor.

Could be some high energy demand device is on.

Could be a short circuit somewhere.

Could be a bad transfer switch.

My first place to look in our coach would be to see if the inverter is set to too low an amperage allowance from shore/generator power.  When I use my 3000w portable generator, I set my inverter to "power sharing" at 10 to 25 amps so the generator's breaker will not get kicked out.  If the sum of electrical devices' demand (water heater, induction cooktop, convection/microwave, etc.) tries to overtax the generator, then the house batteries will power share with the generator and show a discharging condition.  When those devices are later turned off, then the inverter will use generator power to recharge the house batteries.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: House Batteries Showing 16 amp discharge on Shore Power
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »
Larry,
Try shutting off the circuit breakers one at a time to see if you can isolate a circuit that has the high load. If that doesn't change anything, I'd suspect a bad battery.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp