Author Topic: No shore power  (Read 6746 times)

neil omalley

No shore power
« on: August 15, 2018, 07:08:31 PM »
  Can’t seem to get shorepower to the coach. Generator will power just fine. Don’t hear the transfer switch “thud”. New chassis batteries. New solenoid as part of big bird system. Any ideas where to begin? Thanks.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: No shore power
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:47:56 PM »
Neil,
I'd start by checking for power at the park pedestal. Make sure circuit breaker is on and that voltage is present on both legs of the 50A receptacle. The top and bottom sockets are nuetral and ground. The other 2 sockets are hot. You should measure about 115-120 VAC between each of the hot sockets and nuetral or ground.  If OK there, do you have a surge guard that might be detecting a problem and not transfering power to coach. If no Surge guard or if surge guard indicates incoming power is OK, the transfer switch may be malfunctioning.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

neil omalley

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 11:24:18 PM »
Thanks Steve. Everything seems to work but it’s all off the inverter. If I shut off the inverter, the a/flights and residential reefer go off. That kinda indicates to me ground power is not getting to the coach except through the inverter?i can’t really tell because my Alladin system is all but defunct. I’ve pushed the inverter charge breaker. I guess it’s working. There was no “snap” like a normal cab ,but then maybe it’s not supposed to? The generator acts normally I.e. Good ac and Good dc when operating
An update,of sorts. With ground power plugged in and reduced to 15 amp via connectors nothing happens I.e. no big bird thump nor charge light on the xantrx panel. With Genset running all appears normal . Did not hear transfer thump but a charging light illuminates on the Xantrex.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 11:31:42 PM »
Neil,
Like Steve said, you need to take a meter and check a few things before we can give you an inteligent answer to your question. There are to many variables to give you an answer without more information.

Gerald

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 11:33:59 PM »
Neil,
15A will barely run the reefer. What else do you have on? In any case, suggest you remove some connectors and increase extension cord guage to get at least 20A to coach. Are you plugged into a 20 or 30A circuit?
Steve
Steve

neil omalley

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 11:41:42 PM »

neil omalley

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 12:53:18 AM »
What kind of readings would help,Gerald?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 05:28:00 AM »
Neil,
First, what is the voltage on each hot leg of the receptacle that your 50 amp cord is plugged into? If both legs are above 110 volts, what is the voltage at a base plug in the coach that is not on an inverter powered circuit? If that is above 110 volts, what is the voltage at a base plug that is on an inverter powered circuit?

Gerald

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 03:00:01 PM »
I'm kind of following this thread, just to read the answers and learn something. I'm confused though. The OP says he is plugged in to a 20A circuit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 50A is either not available, or is not working?
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 03:07:44 PM »
I believe where Gerald is going with this is - OP is using a "dog bone apadater" on his 50A shore line cable to reduce from 50A to 30A to 20A (So he has adapters on his 50A cord). I do this too when my coach is plugged into my 20A garage reciprocal when I'm parked at home.

http://www.dmbruss.com/zFullTimeLifeStyle/FTLS_ElectricalAdapters.htm

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 03:35:49 PM »
Neil,

I have a good voltmeter and clamp on amp meter.  I have a little experience with testing the transfer switch on the (old) Monterey. 

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 05:13:28 PM »
I believe where Gerald is going with this is - OP is using a "dog bone apadater" on his 50A shore line cable to reduce from 50A to 30A to 20A (So he has adapters on his 50A cord). I do this too when my coach is plugged into my 20A garage reciprocal when I'm parked at home.

http://www.dmbruss.com/zFullTimeLifeStyle/FTLS_ElectricalAdapters.htm

Mike, I understand that could be it. That's exactly what I use when plugged in at home. But he is not hearing the thump (the same one I get) when the TS engages. Mine is built in with the surge protector in the bay where the cord reel is located. Gerald asked him to check power to each leg at the receptacle, therefore making me think he is plugged in to a 50A power pole. If he is using a dog bone, he is connected to a regular house circuit.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 05:28:50 PM »
Stan,
He has to use the 50A connector on the coach. This is then tied to the 30A connector, which in turn, is connected to the standard 3 prong wall  or extention cord connector/recepticale. One side of the 50A will have AC on it if all previous connections are good. This is what Gerald is after.
Steve
Steve

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »
We cannot generally connect to a 15/20 amp household receptacle, especially if the receptacle has a GFI on its circuit.  The GFI will nearly always break the continuity.  And this with the inverter's power-sharing status set to its lowest possible setting... which is 5 amps.  This means the inverter is limited to pulling 5 amps from the shore cord, but other devices not on the inverter may cause the demand on the shore cord to exceed that 5 amp inverter limitation, I believe.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 06:11:41 PM »
We cannot generally connect to a 15/20 amp household receptacle, especially if the receptacle has a GFI on its circuit.  The GFI will nearly always break the continuity.  And this with the inverter's power-sharing status set to its lowest possible setting... which is 5 amps.  This means the inverter is limited to pulling 5 amps from the shore cord, but other devices not on the inverter may cause the demand on the shore cord to exceed that 5 amp inverter limitation, I believe.
Dave, I just spent 3 weeks plugged into a 20 amp outside outlet at a friend's house while living in the coach.  Initially I kept popping the breaker in the house.  Then I remembered to set my inverter on 20 amp incoming power.  What I think was happening is that the charger was coming on and drawing too much power.  After the reset of the inverter it worked fine.  It also kept the batteries charged.  So with the HydroHot elec off and the inverter set up right you should be able to run the coach.  I did not use the air conditioning either.  I did make coffee in the morning, used toaster and the microwave.  Obviously being careful to not use any at the same time as others.  Reefer ran the whole time on AC.  Even though off subject I figured it was good info for you Dave.  Happy camping!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH