Author Topic: No shore power  (Read 6741 times)

neil omalley

Re: No shore power
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 04:46:06 AM »
Ok!Riddle me this.😳 I went to a service provider and he plugged in to his 50amp. Guess what? Everything worked as written. They went to 30amp via a connector. Aok. Went to 15 amp connector. No problem. Inverter inverter. Charger charged. Light on central showed a charging light. When I got home and plugged in to a circuit which had worked before, nothing happened. I assured myself all connections had power but no charge light and no a/c without the inverter being on. Cannot get charge light to take and microwave will not illuminate without the inverter. Thoughts?

Mike Shumack

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 11:05:18 AM »
Did you double check the breaker for your home receptacle to be sure it did not trip?
If the "Shore Power setting" is set to a higher amperage (say 30A) than your home receptacle, it might have tripped the breaker once the battery charger kicked on.
At the Service provider you coach may have worked on 20A because your coach's charger did not come on - then you get home plug into 20A circuit and charger comes on tripping breaker.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:12:09 AM by Mike Shumack »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 12:53:25 PM »
Ok!Riddle me this.😳 I went to a service provider and he plugged in to his 50amp. Guess what? Everything worked as written. They went to 30amp via a connector. Aok. Went to 15 amp connector. No problem. Inverter inverter. Charger charged. Light on central showed a charging light. When I got home and plugged in to a circuit which had worked before, nothing happened. I assured myself all connections had power but no charge light and no a/c without the inverter being on. Cannot get charge light to take and microwave will not illuminate without the inverter. Thoughts?
When you said that you plugged into a 15 amp connector at the shop it worked, was it your connector or one he had?  You say at home you assured yourself that the power "connections had power," did you actually check them with a meter or some other way and actually verify that you had 120+- on one blade when measured to the other blade and/or the ground?  If it works somewhere else than it pretty much has to be something at home or something that you are doing that the service guy didn't!  Or gremlins!!  Very perplexing problem and I wish you luck that you figure it out soon!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 10:47:41 PM »
Jerry - In my earlier post I was indicating I cannot plug the coach into a 15/20 amp home circuit because the house's GFI will disconnect.  I meant to indicate that without the GFI and reducing the "power-sharing" on the inverter to below 15/20 amps or less, then usually the connection will hold okay.  Obviously, we cannot run many devices from that low amperage solely from the house circuit.  But the inverter will pull power from the batteries to operate those extra devices, then when they're shut off, the inverter will use extra shore power to recharge the batteries.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:12:49 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 01:26:37 AM »
Neil,
It's possible that your circuit at home is missing a ground or neutral. This would keep the surge guard from transferring power to the coach. Consider getting a circuit tester (harbor freight, home depot, etc) https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Receptacle-Outlet-Ground-Tester/dp/B0012DHVQ0 to verify the supply up to your 30A connector. Also, check to see if your surge guard has any indicator lights and what they indicate after ac is applied for about 5 minutes.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

neil omalley

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 04:10:02 AM »
Steve:you broke the code. The problem was ,in fact, no ground on the receptacle and the surge guard did its job and refused to tie the coach to bad electrics. Thanks for everyone’s help and a big hand from me to Bill Sprague who wanted his whole day helping the dope who wired the receptacle 😩

Bill Sprague

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 04:15:04 AM »
It was a good day!  We went to Burger King for lunch.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 05:52:03 AM »
Consider making yourself one of these:  http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_50amp.htm

as I did.  The plastic container I put it in stores nicely in my cord reel compartment, but I know some rigs have a cord configuration out of a port rather than a bay.  Nevertheless it’d take up little room in any handy left side bay.

It can be used to check 30 amp and 20/15 too.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:59:40 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat