Author Topic: A/C Shroud replacement  (Read 2020 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
A/C Shroud replacement
« on: August 18, 2018, 04:57:09 PM »
We are in Colorado Springs, traveling West. We'll be here until Tuesday morning. Yesterday, the RV Park was hit with a violent hail storm. Both of the shrouds on our rooftop A/C units were shattered by the hail. There are gaping holes, and little pieces of broken plastic all around each shroud. I went out and bought some Eternabond tape, and covered the holes, for a temporary repair.

Several questions arise.

1. If I had not covered the holes, and we were driving in rain, would water get in to the coach?
2. The list of OEM providers inside the door of the cabinet above the vanity shows our A/C units are from Dometic, model #630516.321. Searching online, I find that model # associated with Duo-Therm A/C units, and some are called Dometic Duo-Therm. Is my assumption there was a buy-out or take-over from Duo-Therm correct?
3. Does anyone have a part # for replacement shrouds for that model?
4. Is there a universal fit available?
5. I see lots of information on Google about Dometic Penguin A/C units, and replacement shrouds. Guessing they do not apply to our coach?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edit: I found this online, listing our model #. (see picture) There are no vent holes on the side like we have now. Are they necessary?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:11:08 PM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: A/C Shroud replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 09:46:14 PM »
We left Canyon City KOA yesterday morning on a rolling BAC rally to Farmington and saw some of the hail damage from a week earlier. Sorry to hear it got you. Your lucky it was just 2 ac covers . Yes you will get water coming thru in the rain. We recently replaced both shrouds. Without holes on the sides from ColawRv in Carthage, MO.  Part #3314471.001 , $138.66. We just happen to be going thru MO. Old shrouds were original and had become brittle. The 99 dollar you posted is a good price. The reason I know you will get water inside is because I washed the condensers on both units and poor me for not informing Natasha of the incoming shower. Wasn't that bad but can you imagine driving in the rain and have that happen.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9
The following users thanked this post: Larry Fritz, Stan Simpson

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 10:27:08 PM »
BAC has the OEM in stock.
  I think the original equipment is quite a bit better quality.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Paul Meehan

• BAC Member
  • Travel with DW and two K9's
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 10:48:37 PM »
Years back I purchased a replacement AC shroud for another RV manufactured by Maxxair.  The sales guy stood on it to show how strong it was.  I am not sure if they make a replacement for a Penguin or not.  It might be worth the look see.
Paul and Peggy
St. Johns, Florida
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' 2 Slides (2015-2019)
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2019-Current)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee  Limited
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson